Need help with value...

K

katinfl

I bought a 32.5" strand of natural AA+, 9mm strand of pearls approximately 18 years ago. The original owner had been given them as a gift by her sister whom lived in Bahrain, and had been given them 10-15 years before parting with them. I have tried to have them appraised, but everyone I have taken them to has said they can not give me a fair appraisal because they have never dealt with this type of pearl. Can anyone give me advise or a rough idea of what they are worth and where I can go for an adaquet appraisal. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Bahraini pearls

Bahraini pearls

Hi,

Your grading does not make sense for Bahraini pearls. You listed a cultured pearl grading type. Have you had an expert look at them who can rate the color (abiyadh, nabatee, jiwan, sofri?), the carat or grain weight (9mm+ rounds would be about 25-30 grain), the luster ratings (orient, mirror, water?), the shape and the surface (dana?, shireen?), and the matching? All that would be necessary to determine the multiple for valuation. There are no AA naturals. That's like trying to measure cauliflower in number of bottles. Anyway, that must have been quite a gift. Top rate Bahraini pearls in that size and length would run you at a million US$ retail replacement value for insurance purposes.

Zeide

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea about these terms, I had just taken them to local jewelers and that is what they said. Thank you for all the info. They have a slight peachy hew to them and a beautiful luster, slightly oval, and are all almost perfectly matched. I am always told that they are the most beautiful anyone has ever seen. Where would I go to get them properly appraised? I appreciate anything else you can tell me.
Sincerely
Kat

I'd recommend calling Gina Latendresse of American Pearl Company. She deals in naturals and may have some advice. The number is 1-800-455-6602. Please share your experience with us here on the pearl-guide.

Appraisal

Appraisal

Hello,

I also own natural pearls and didn't know where to turn with them. Before I know they were natural, I took them to Tiffanys here in Dallas and they recommended only one appraiser - Patti Geolat. After meeting with Patti, she recommended sending them to the GIA for certification right away. Everyone I have come in contact with has said she has an excellent reputation in the business and I can speak from personal experience, she is wonderful and extremely knowedgeable. You can visit her website at http://www.geolat.com.

Hope this helps...

Back