Need help identifying pearl necklace please.

momsjewel

I would appreciate some help with identifying this pearl necklace. The clasp is 18K gold but it marked oddly, reading K18. The pearls are real, with an oblong shape and have turquoise beads in between them. They seem, at least to me, to be of good quality, but I am not sure. Also, because they have an 18K gold clasp I am assuming that the quality is good, but am aware of what is said about the word assume. Thanks for any help.
pearl turquoise necklace 18K good top view.JPG

Attachments

• pearl turquoise necklace 18K good top view.JPG
    pearl turquoise necklace 18K good top view.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • pearl turquoise necklace 18K with ruler.JPG
    pearl turquoise necklace 18K with ruler.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
  • pearl turquoise necklace 18K K18 mark.JPG
    pearl turquoise necklace 18K K18 mark.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 50
Those are "rice" freshwater pearls from China; they were more common 10-15 years ago than now. I have a strand like that, with small pearls for spacers instead of stone beads. They are nice enough pearls, but not valuable. The spacers may or may not be genuine turquoise; they could be dyed howlite, for example.

I see they are strung on beading wire, rather than knotted on thread. I have to say, I would not normally put a karat gold clasp on a necklace like that, but it could be that the stringer re-used a clasp from another necklace (as I sometimes do). Or perhaps this necklace was made before the price of gold skyrocketed.

You have made alot of very good points about this necklace. I am now doubtful that the spacers beads are even turquoise and now know the types of pearls used. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and helping me. It is greatly appreciated.

I agree! Chinese freshwater pearls.

Back