Need help finding a clasp - Japanese with a push button lock

Cliclasp, I think that's a great idea for a book! I'm always on the hunt for clasp knowledge ideas! I really like the design of the Cooks clasp, but I'm always concerned that the more complex the clasp is, the more likely it will have a mechnical failure at some point. However, I have been using the dexterity clasp from Rio for a few years now and not a single failure (however not tested with excessive weight).

Sometimes the weak point is a jump ring which isn't soldered attaching the clasp to the chain. It can pull open over time, causing the failure. I see this on karat gold and also fashion jewelry. Good to take a close look at this area on our necklaces and chains.
On this one, the weak point was the pin mechanism inside that "snaps" or "clicks" into the clasp...it didn't align correctly. But I have had jump rings fail as well!

Having an unsoldered jumpring somewhere on a necklace or earring is a good safety feature, as long as it is properly designed (proper diameter and gauge, so that it isn't flimsy and won't open from normal activities). If the necklace gets caught on something, that ring will give out before the wearer gets hurt.

A friend once had a necklace snatched by a lowlife on a motor bike. Her neck was cut deeply enough to leave a scar and she was thrown to the ground, spraining her wrist. That really impressed me and I've made sure that my jewelry won't hurt the wearer as much as possible. I would rather lose a necklace than get hurt.

I agree. You see necklaces being pulled off just with a gentle tug in dramas and I have to wonder how that happens. It's certainly a good idea with bracelets too.
Every A and E doctor would like rings which open, of course

Back