Natural Pteria Sterna UV Photos

mausketeer

I thought I should start a new thread for the UV pics so they would be easy to find in case anyone is researching UV light and pearls at any point.

So....... I received my UV flashlight (bathroom is HORRIFYING, germaphobes should NOT own one of these things!). They are red as to be expected with Sea of Cortez pearls (yay!) but, look at the ones that are glowing BLUE! Neat! I'm going to check the strand against the photos and see if the blue ones are a different colour, shape, composition - what? SO interesting! This is bringing out my inner Sherlock Holmes (I will NOT check around the litter box! Not gonna do it!)

Attachments

• 11 28 12a
    11 28 12a
    8.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 11 28 12b
    11 28 12b
    7.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 27
I looked at my natural Mississippi pearls and they were neon green, but it was quite similiar to some cultured Akoyas I have to, so I don't think it can be used as an identifier...... Shall I post photos when I get them?

Although most appear red, you can see slight differences in each pearl ranging from pink to blue. It's an important point to consider when identifying most natural pearl strands. Those which appear uniform are either immaculately graded from a huge pool or faked from keshi or FWP.

I'm not well versed in P.sterna as Douglas and others, but it seems reasonable a low percentage would appear blue.

Although most appear red, you can see slight differences in each pearl ranging from pink to blue. It's an important point to consider when identifying most natural pearl strands. Those which appear uniform are either immaculately graded from a huge pool or faked from keshi or FWP.

I'm not well versed in P.sterna as Douglas and others, but it seems reasonable a low percentage would appear blue.

Good point (the subtle variation in colours in naturals vs uniformity of colour in cultured). Seems a UV light could be a lower cost, handy tool for making a determination between natural and cultured before resorting to costly X-rays (if it suggests the pearls are cultured, don't bother with x-rays type of thing). Doesn't help me much on Ebay though! Lol

So........ all the ones that glowed blue under UV are silver-ish colour, but not all the silver ones glowed blue, most glowed red. Hmm. I wish I knew more about biology! Is it older animals? (or younger). Animals eating a different diet? Pearl growing in a different area of the oyster? (I'm thinking out loud, sorry).......

I looked at my natural Mississippi pearls and they were neon green, but it was quite similar to some cultured Akoyas I have to, so I don't think it can be used as an identifier...... Shall I post photos when I get them?

Manusketer, are those keshi Sea of Cortez pearls? If they are, I didn't know they glowed too!!!!

This is SOOOO COOOOL.

I think your "not going to do the kitty litter" rant is hilarious.

What does the necklace look like normally? The pictures are cool!

Back