Natural Pearls, Basra?

Yes, yes, I think you can, I wasn't describing it correctly! It has to do with opening one window to display aspan's strand, then open another with post #71 on it, then change your computer screen display from 'cascade' to 'side-by-side'.

YOU had no idea...I had no idea! honest to God, every once in a while a neural pathway reconnects, and I get something back, something I didn't know I was missing (although, I must say, I've been struggling to find the right words for this one for a while. Ha ha hahaha, I'm not complaining, I'm jubilant, doing a chair dance, wheeeee, spin, spin)

Last edited:
And guess what!, the more adept users on PG can do it without opening two windows (!), isnt that amazing??? I think it's cutting and pasting :-O , which my brain still won't accommodate.

(I'm poking fun at myself only, here. As you all know, my stance with regard to PGers is consistently awestruck at your knowledge and skills)

Last edited:
Amazing thread and can't wait to discover what these pearls are! Maybe our pearl dealer in Bur Dubai (whom had the natural pearls that I saw - some of which were 70 years old) might be able to help (without smashing them if they were Chinese!!). He was a very decent guy and extremely well known in the GNP wholemarket. The largest GNP he had was 7mm (AAA grade) and valued at Dhs32,000 (about USD$8,420) with a Bahrain lab cert.

Amazing thread and can't wait to discover what these pearls are! Maybe our pearl dealer in Bur Dubai (whom had the natural pearls that I saw - some of which were 70 years old) might be able to help (without smashing them if they were Chinese!!). He was a very decent guy and extremely well known in the GNP wholemarket. The largest GNP he had was 7mm (AAA grade) and valued at Dhs32,000 (about USD$8,420) with a Bahrain lab cert.

Yes, that's exactly what we have planned. Thanks for the info Donzi.

Cheers

Excellent - so are you based in Dubai or where about's in KSA?

The dealer in Bur Dubai is called Xiam jewellers. Really nice and knowledge guy.

Would appreciate if you could let us know how you get on.

Yes, that's exactly what we have planned. Thanks for the info Donzi.

Cheers

Natural Pearls, Basra?

Excellent - so are you based in Dubai or where about's in KSA?

The dealer in Bur Dubai is called Xiam jewellers. Really nice and knowledge guy.

Would appreciate if you could let us know how you get on.

Thanks Lisa, Caitlin, Karin, Pattye, Donzi and others for your comments and enthusiasm. It has been a learning process, although I wish I had started this thread prior to acquiring these necklaces.

In any case, here is what we have decided to do, since we will be in Dubai at the end of October. First I will take these to Xiam Jewelers and see Mr. Jhaveri (thanks Donzi for your suggestion), peruse through his inventory as well ask for his opinion and advise on our pearl necklace(s). We have also decided to have the pearls tested by GIA. As I understand it, there is a GIA branch (perhaps near the Dubai airport), and although the Dubai branch does not test for pearls or gems, diamonds, they will take the clients' orders and send them to the GIA (HQ in CA or in NY), get them tested, get a report and send the report and the pearls back to us in Saudi Arabia. Since GIA charges (minimum) same for testing upto 3 pearls, we will get our 3 pearls tested. The process will likely take betwen 30 to 40 days, hence I expect to report to this forum, towards the end of the year, given the Xmas and the new-year holidays.

Here is what we would like to get in the lab-test-report (you all are welcome to add any suggestions), and not sure if GIA or other labs would consider some or all of these!!: 1) natural or cultured, 2) origin: Basra/gulf/Chinese/Borneo etc, 3) vintage of the pearls, i.e. age (can the lab really tell its age, as we can tell the age of a tree from the trunk and the circles formed for each year of its existence?), 4) quality of the pearls in terms of lustre, nacre, size and shape etc, and finally and if if at all possible, 5) current estimated value of each pearl or the necklace in $ (I kind of doubt this since a lab may not want to put their reputation/credibility at stake in giving any hypothetical estimates - could boomrang on them!).

What do you guys think - do I have a long-enough grocery list of Qs? Oh yeah, I know nothing about "pinctada radiata" - what is it? Is there any Q to be asked of the GIA regarding this?

We are north-americans living in Saudi - way different life and exciting in some aspects - but those stories sometime in future - now I must be focused to get to the bottom of my pearls, so to say!

Cheers

I should also have said earlier that my jeweler has given his money-back-guarantee (oh yeah!) should a lab suggest that these are not natural and not from Basra!! Only time can tell, but I thought I will keep you guys amused!

As I learn more of natural pearls from this web-site and others, I am inclined or rather resigned for a 50/50 assessment on my pearls (no, I have not given-up).

Cheesr

It will be a great lesson for us all no matter how your pearls turn out. However, if one smallish pearl donzi saw was over $8k, then even if your pearls were bought for $1k per pearl for much larger ones, you would have over 100k invested in them.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

And if you are commenting on the difference in cost to get pearls tested at different labs......then I do not think you paid anywhere near natural pearl prices for the pearls.

I eat crow when necessary, so if this is such an occasion, just let me know.

Caitlin is absolutely correct and the beautiful pearls I saw at Mr Jayesh F. Jhaveri's shop (EXIM Jewellers - apologies had spelt this wrong earlier) were stunning and about 10-70 years old as part of his collection.

The attached pic shows the largest Gulf Natural Pearl (GNP) he had that his family had been collecting for generations - he weighed it, measured it on several devices and gave me the price for this at Dhs32,000 so a seriously rare pearl indeed and have never seen anything like it since. Pearl was 8mm in size. Caitlin had mentioned to me months ago that once you see your first GNP vert few other pearls can compare so to say I was a little over whelmed is an understatement plus all the richness of history that was in that shop presented in such a humble way - I felt like I was cheating getting to see all these amazing wares as the story was incredible.

Inshallah your pearls are GNP and if not it's a venture learned and at least you'll have something you will enjoy. Either way the journey on this could be better than the destination in this case, as I learnt in person

Best wishes.

It will be a great lesson for us all no matter how your pearls turn out. However, if one smallish pearl donzi saw was over $8k, then even if your pearls were bought for $1k per pearl for much larger ones, you would have over 100k invested in them.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

And if you are commenting on the difference in cost to get pearls tested at different labs......then I do not think you paid anywhere near natural pearl prices for the pearls.

I eat crow when necessary, so if this is such an occasion, just let me know.

Attachments

• e500 Kalba_ Pearls 004.jpg
    e500 Kalba_ Pearls 004.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Last edited:
Good point Caitlin. I probably did not explain correctly my concern about cost of testing. If I were to get the entire two necklaces (i.e all pearls) tested and lab reported to the level of detail, my guestimate for the cost of testing would be in the range of about $5k to $8k - whether it be at GIA or at Bahrain lab (including all x-rays etc). I suppose if the estimated value for the necklaces is in the range of $100k, then perhaps the testing cost would be 5% to 8%. May be that is reasonable, I don't know. I also imagine that the margins for gems/pearls between wholesale vs retail prices could be in the range of 5:1 or even 10:1, since the retailers really have to sweat it out and perhaps for such high valued items, they probably sell to one client out of potential 10 or so. My guestimate is that I was led to believe that I was offered wholesale prices - may be I am gullible, but only time can tell!

My hope is that these are natural & from Basra, if not I have been assured for a full refund. Hope this explains better. And I thought, it is better to get 3 pearls tested first and if they turn out to be natural etc, then the ball would be in my court to get the enitre necklaces tested, if we wished-to. Cost for testing the 3 pearls is a non-issue & miniscule, even to get psychological satisfaction and the experience in learnings.

Our trip to Bur-Dubai should provide us with further experieince in learning about pearls, especially the natural ones. I am confident that Mr. Jhaveri will be of great assistance.

Cheers

Last edited:
Again Caitlin makes a good argument here as testing in the Bahrain lab ranges from USD$100 upwards for certification per pearl so that would be a lot of money for all the pearls you have there. Main thing is find out as much information as possible and take it from there.

Hello, Aspan, and thank you for your pleasant attitude!

When you have your two strands side by side, are they very like each other in surface, color and size? or are they just two strands that you liked, with not much in common?

When you pick your pearls to be tested will you please include from picture three, large pearl #21, from the clasp spot going up, counting large pearls only, from your second strand.
Best luck!

Last edited:
Hi Lisa

The #21 is the same as #3 from right in pic 4 - not so round and almost baroque & is the largest pearl in the second strand. I am just curious, any particular reason why you picked this one?

Cheers

Lisa, there are differences between the two strands, in terms of size and lustre of some of the pearls in strand two. Some appear dull while others look super lustrous. I have a fealing that these are not fresh water pearls, an of course not quite convinced if these are natural - and that's why tests will reveal to all us what these really are. Having said all of the above in the threads, in reality they are absolutely gorgeous (natural or not!). My wife has necklaces of south-sea pearls & these here in the threads are much nicer and beautiful.

I guess I simply won't sleep well until the results of the tests are made available - too bad I may have to wait for almost 2 months!

Cheers

Hello, well bearing in mind that we're working from photographs, online... That pearl in particular looks like a Chinese cultured freshwater pearl to me. If you look at the luster or reflective qualities of that pearl then at any of the large, more round pearls, if you see what I see, the luster looks sharper than the pearls at the side, or in the pearls in your first strand which appear to Glow. It has to do with the way the different molluscs characteristically lay down their layers of nacre.

Again, we're doing this via the Internet, and photographs, which have limitations. That's why I asked if the strands resembled each other in person. It's another reason your Eyeball Input is important!

Had an interesting conversation with a pearl dealer in India. Offering a Gulf Natural Pearl (GNP) necklace with 64 GNP's and at 47cm in length. Total weight 31.4 grams including thread and clasp. Pearls ranging from 5.70mm for the smallest and then up to 8mm for the biggest.
Offers in excess of USD$320,000 for this piece with both Swiss and Bahrain lab certificates.

Back