Natural Mississippi River Pearls-appraisal

pattye

Pearl Scholar
Awhile back, several years probably, some of us who post here were searching for Mississippi natural pearls on ebay. I found these, and purchased for maybe $200 or a bit less. I can't find my posts about them anymore, but my intentions were to send them off right away to Sharon Wakefield for evaluation. Right.

Eventually I did, and just got the information back, so am posting some new photos (pearls are restrung temporarily on fine wire, they had a bath in pure castile soap from Whole Foods before they were sent off and looked 100% better.

Per Sharon: "NGL does not have the requisite analytical equipment to independently certify the origin--natural versus cultured - of pearls. However, microscopic examination and ultraviolet luminescence response are consistent with client information describing these as natural Mississippi River pearls."

Shape: Semi-Baroque to Baroque
Size: 3.0 - 7.5mm
Bodycolor: White to Light Cream
Overtones: Some with Slight Rose overtones
Luster: Good to Excellent
Blemishes: Light to Heavy
Matching: Fair to Good

289 total pearls.
Retail replacement value $3450

Not sure just how I will restring, as a double strand it is too short for me to wear. The clasp is in poor shape.
IMGP1845_resize.jpg

IMGP1846_resize.jpg

IMGP1847_resize.jpg

IMGP1848_resize.jpg

Chubby little darlings. What you need is one strand, but halfway down the sides, add in a second strand after a gold bead as a separation point. Sort of a scalloped double strand. That will give you enough length. And they sell well!

DSCN3197.jpg

Hope this makes sense. ;)

Oooh! Can't wait to see your finished piece. That's some sweet luster you've got with those darlings. ;)

not a bad "replacement value" for the $200 you spent, they are "chubby little darlings" indeed!

Yeay! I hope you wear them. You may not find that deal again.

They are so indigenous- like the sunstones are ................hmmmm

Hi Pattye
I am curious about the evaluation/appraisal - it does not really tell you much of anything you did not know already - ie not the vital natural/cultured information which is what I suspect you would have liked to have confirmed, if possible.
I know nothing at all about Mississippi river pearls- are they quite common. All I have to go on are 'wild' pearls from UK rivers which are just about banned by law and therefore old real ones are worth huge amounts for rarity
There is such a huge difference between the auction price and the appraisal price that I am wondering at the latter rather than the former (although that looks like a great deal you got there)
what do other americans think of these two widely differing valuations (the only real one is the one which Pattye paid at the auction, of course. because things are only worth what people actually have paid for them)

Wendy,

I had some other appraisals done at the same time, so just sent these along. If I suddenly pass my kids will have some idea that they are not just the ugliest/strange little pearls I own, but do have some value, however much that may be. LOL

Sharon Wakefield has always been very clear that she does not have the equipment and does not certify naturals. Sharon does have a good reputation above other local appraisers as being knowledgeable about pearls in particular, and is used by others who post here, such as The Pearl Outlet.

I think these kinds of pearls are pretty much no longer found, and are fairly rare, and of course, you are correct, they are only worth what someone would pay.

It's difficult to say exactly what others would think of the variation in cost of an item versus "retail value." Much the same thing could happen with some of the strands purchased from you, or Jeremy, or others, when the new owner has them appraised for insurance/replacement purposes, and finds them valued at many times what they paid.

Thanks for all that Pattye.
Yes indeed, replacement /insurance value is not always the same as what you paid (one is making a good deal while the other may be just going to the nearest possible seller and paying whatever their price is, for eg) (which of course is why auction price is generally reckoned to be a pretty strong clear indicator of realistic price (although it only reflects who wanted to buy that item at that time - I've bought property that way...scary!)

Do you think I should do them on "silk" and knot every 5 or so pearls?

Knot between every one, what ever kind of thread you choose. Silk will need to be redone. I have some Wild American pearls going from 5mm to 1/2mm. I knotted between every one something like 321 knots for 20". I used PowerPro 8lb. (of course), but any non-stretchy thread will do. (no pearl powder and I wear them a lot.
just my 2c

Last edited:
Back