My Jumbo SS Pearl

flustered

Ok I am really shy about posting and even more intimidated by uploading pics. But I really need help with the assessment and appraisal of my necklace. It is a Mikimoto necklace, 18KT. The large SS baroque pearl is embedded with diamonds and enameled swirls. The pearl itself is approx 31mmx18mm. I cannot find a jeweler with a clue about how to appraise this. I do not have any purchase documents as it was a gift from someone, now long gone. I hope these pics are helpful. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 100_6351.JPG
    100_6351.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_6354.JPG
    100_6354.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
No, they sell other pearls, but flustered, welcome, by the way, needs to either take it to Mikimoto or send it there. They'll give you a retail replacement price. After that you can decide what you want the appraisal for as there are several reasons people have jewelry appraised and they each carry their own value.

Yes, Mikimoto sells lots of Tahitians and South Sea pearls, although they are famously linked to their akoyas. All their catalogues and on-line sites include them. Now, for the clasp, it is actually a heavy but simple lobster clasp and is hallmarked with the M in the shell and 750, as is the bale. I guess with a pearl this big it seemed silly to them to put a baby pearl on the clasp like they do with their akoya necklaces.

Jumbo is an understatement, assuming it's nacreous in 3D. I'm trying to conceive of how the pearl sac got that large. Could it even be a keshi?

Extremely attractive design but I have mild reservations about altering such an impressive pearl unless it had significant skin blemishes.

Before obtaining an appraisal, you might want to have the pearl x-rayed and identified by a gem lab. A lab report will be able to ascertain if the pearl contains a bead nucleus or not. If there is no bead nucleus, the lab may be able to determine if the pearl is cultured or natural. Without a lab report, in my opinion, an appropriate appraisal can not be determined.

I think your necklace is simply beautiful. The gold alone, looks to be heavy and worth quite a bit in today's market.

How old is the piece?

Gail

Last edited:
Can I make my usual point that the clasp is marked with a trademark, not a hallmark since it hasn't been assayed by the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths in London and stamped by them as coming up to a standard of proof
(but this is not a criticism any poster - it is simply an all too common worldwide error about which I am tediously pedantic, having my own mark registered at Goldsmith's Hall)

Last edited:
Yes. a hallmark is an assay mark - the M in a shell is a maker's mark.
There are several elements to a UK hallmark - the maker's mark (mine is WMG in a classic cartouche) which is unique to that one person, then there is a year mark (a letter in a specific typeface and possibly also a shape) a place of assay - lion, leopard etc etc and a specific mark for what the metal is and what proof. sometimes there are extra marks such as the Queen's head on silver for her silver jubilee and gold for her golden.
A sponsor/maker's mark is a more powerful and unique mark than any trade mark in fact as mine is mine for all time (cor!) and the roll of the registering hall is final on the matter, while a trademark can be changed, lost, argued about in court, passed off etc etc
nb, if I send something for marking and it does not come up to proof it will be damaged so as to be unsaleable as a piece (only fit for scrap). Any piece sent for checking to a hall which carries a faked hallmark and which does not come up to proof will be similarly marked/damaged. That includes using too much low melting point (easy and extra easy) solder.

Thanks, Wendy - I think I get it now (but it is terribly confusing!).

Back