My First South Sea Pearl ๐Ÿ’›

kerwinkiffy

So I went to a local market here in Palawan and bought my very first Philippine Golden South Sea Pearl! Itโ€™s big at 13.2mm in size! It also comes with a certificate of authenticity ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

I picked it from a selection of loose pearls then asked them to set it in stainless steel loop so that I can use it as pendant ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’› Im soooooo happy with my purchase! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

(Pictures here are not retouched to show the natural gold color. I just wish Im giving it enough justice on how pretty it is ๐Ÿ˜Š)

Attachments

• E70DD610-794C-45BE-BF9B-03DA9109AF7E.jpeg
    E70DD610-794C-45BE-BF9B-03DA9109AF7E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 180
  • 10A8E111-0C3C-4783-9252-FD9D3CB1A8BC.jpeg
    10A8E111-0C3C-4783-9252-FD9D3CB1A8BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
That is one deep golden pearl you have there! Great shape and luster too...looks clean on the surface. Quite a nice find!
Looks like 22K Gold tone :)

That is one deep golden pearl you have there! Great shape and luster too...looks clean on the surface. Quite a nice find!
Looks like 22K Gold tone :)
Yes it is! Though I should say, there is a fish bite on it which I asked them to hide where the hoop is attached. Aside from that I also did a light test and noticed two lines of fissure inside it. But nevertheless, im happy with it ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Let me also show another shot of it ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›
5404754E-BA3C-4E51-A07D-86C7DD9DF4AC.jpeg

Yes it is! Though I should say, there is a fish bite on it which I asked them to hide where the hoop is attached. Aside from that I also did a light test and noticed two lines of fissure inside it. But nevertheless, im happy with it ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Let me also show another shot of it ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›View attachment 462135
It looks gorgeous from where I am standing. I think it is quite a find!
May you wear it in Good Health and Spirits always!

What a wonderful choice kerwinkitty! Pearls do not need to be perfect to be enjoyed and look beautiful on, and if the little fish bite can be covered by the bail, then even better! Enjoy wearing your fantastic new pendant!

So I went to a local market here in Palawan and bought my very first Philippine Golden South Sea Pearl! Itโ€™s big at 13.2mm in size! It also comes with a certificate of authenticity ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

I picked it from a selection of loose pearls then asked them to set it in stainless steel loop so that I can use it as pendant ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’› Im soooooo happy with my purchase! ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

(Pictures here are not retouched to show the natural gold color. I just wish Im giving it enough justice on how pretty it is ๐Ÿ˜Š)
What a wonderful choice kerwinkitty! Pearls do not need to be perfect to be enjoyed and look beautiful on, and if the little fish bite can be covered by the bail, then even better! Enjoy wearing your fantastic new pendant!
Thank you Jeg!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’›

After reading some infos online, now Im kinda skeptic if my pearl is dyed or not. Im unable to check the drill holes to determine (as most suggest) since this is a pendant. Hmmmm.

After reading some infos online, now Im kinda skeptic if my pearl is dyed or not. Im unable to check the drill holes to determine (as most suggest) since this is a pendant. Hmmmm.
Dyed golden pearls are hard to identify. There were some articles on Gem Notes on GIA's Gems & Gemology that covered this subject. Often the golden color is simply "enhanced" (deepened) to make it more appealing, but this is not something the farmer (Jewelmer) would do nor would accept. I don't believe there are appropriate pearl processing facilities in this country.

Dyed golden pearls are hard to identify. There were some articles on Gem Notes on GIA's Gems & Gemology that covered this subject. Often the golden color is simply "enhanced" (deepened) to make it more appealing, but this is not something the farmer (Jewelmer) would do nor would accept. I don't believe there are appropriate pearl processing facilities in this country.
Does it mean itโ€™s safe to say that SSP here in Palawan arent dyed? Well I really cant check track records of the store were I bought the pearl from.

Does it mean itโ€™s safe to say that SSP here in Palawan arent dyed? Well I really cant check track records of the store were I bought the pearl from.
I would say it would be less likely...but then again: the pearl could have been exported to China for processing, then sent back. This sounds ludicrous...but you never know!
When you want to make sure a pearl is what you believe it is: the SOURCE is always important.

I hope you donโ€™t let that take away from enjoying your new pendant since there is no way of knowing. If the color looks good, and you like how it looks on, then enjoy wearing it.

I hope you donโ€™t let that take away from enjoying your new pendant since there is no way of knowing. If the color looks good, and you like how it looks on, then enjoy wearing it.
I agree wholeheartedly!

Update: Im noticing that my pearlโ€™s color is somewhat uneven. It is not too obvious until you carefully look at it. The surface near the bail is kinda lighter compared to the surface on the opposite side. Its like having an obrรฉ effect or something. Im not sure if this natural or probably caused by the dying process it had undergone. Anyone has any idea about it? (Im not sure if the color difference is visible in these pictures though)
9EB79586-4C97-4108-8BDB-BC805EDC7FFE.jpeg
B1A29F5E-8460-4E40-962B-C04C902CCFBF.jpeg

Back