Multicolor Tahitian pearl necklace or uniform?

L

Lanpiz

I am thinking of buying a Tahitian pearl necklace and am trying to determine whether I should buy a uniform strand or a multicolor strand.
I have been asking around and have heard different stories from different dealers. What I am trying to determine is which strand, all other factors being equal, which type of Tahitian pearl strand is more valuable?

Also, is there a major difference in value between graduated and non-graduated?

Tahitian Pearls

Tahitian Pearls

All other factors being equal the uniform color strand will be more valuable than a multicolor strand. This is because of the extreme difficulty involved in making a uniform strand. If the Tahitian pearls have not been enhanced (a very common practice in China to enhance value of low-quality Tahitian pearls) it is very difficult to match enough pearls with the same size, color, overtone, luster, shine, overall quality, etc. With a multicolor strand the contrast is the selling point. So if you are looking for value in a strand I would highly recommend going with a uniform strand of natural color Tahitians.
One way to help determine whether or not the pearls have been enhanced is first checking the origin. If the pearls have been imported from China there is a high probability that the pearls have been darkened. Another way is to closely examine the pearls themselves. The luster of an enhanced strand will be duller. The color of the strand will also extremely uniform and orient will be lacking. This is because pearls that are enhanced are typically of very low quality.

The graduation of the strand is extremely important. A strand of 8-12mm (all other factors being equal) would be worth nearly half that of a strand measuring 10-12mm. This is because in a strong graduation such as this the majority of the pearls are quite small, and the larger, more valuable pearls make up a very small percentage.

Back