Mikimoto Pearls

HeidiRose

Hi everyone,

I was looking for new pearls on ebay and I came across an akoya necklace (being sold inside the U.S.) with what appears to be a Mikimoto clasp (with the small pearl). The pearls are advertised as "japanese vintage." However, on the back of the clasp, it is stamped "silver" instead of the "M" that is found on modern Mikimoto pearls. Are the real Mikimoto pearls? here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14115040327...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_414wt_1105

It is probably an akoya pearl necklace from Japan (unknotted), exactly what it says it is in the listing. Nothing in the listing states that it is a Mikimoto necklace and the clasp in not a Mikimoto clasp, it is similar to one of the vintage clasps that Mikimoto used, but not the same.

Welcome, HeidiRose,

That's an attractive Japanese akoya pearl necklace most likely. But not a Mikimoto. And at 14 inches, very short for most women. Thoseriches is correct, having a pearl set on the clasp is not an indicator unless the back is stamped with the M within a shell. There are some other threads here that show how the logo appears on the back of an authentic clasp.
Do you have pearls already, or have you just "discovered" pearls? We'd love to hear your story~

Although there can be some good vintage buys on ebay, many, many pearls, both old and new are misrepresented. Just as you have done now, you are always welcome to ask the members what they feel about the pearls and get an honest opinion.

Thanks for the feedback! I was secretly hoping I had come across a Mikimoto necklace, unbenounced to the seller. I have pearls already, but I am trying to learn more about them. :)

Back