Mikimoto Knockoffs?

J

jules

It's apparent that many eBayers have found some "experts-in-residence" to consult on listings - I hope you won't mind another question...

I've been watching a number of Mikimoto pieces recently posted including items 5007421296, 5007428077, 5007432496 and 5007433893.

I've also been reading articles about luxury manufacturers (e.g. Tiffany & Co., Gucci, Coach, etc.) suing eBay for allowing sellers to promote/sell bogus items. Many of those articles mention that companies like Tiffany would rather "eat the costs (of items that don't sell) than cheapen its brand by blowing inventory by holding sales (Motley Fool article)." I suspect that other luxury companies do the same.

This company selling the Mikimoto items says that it is "liquidating inventory from a very fine jewelry store." I know that many live auctions have also listed Mikimoto. Mikimoto has many "authorized retailers" so do you think this a plausible explanation or do you think Mikimoto requires excess inventory be returned to them?

We were looking for Tiffany or Mikimoto pearls for my husband to give his daughter before her wedding ceremony. We'll likely buy direct but I just wondered if there are Mikimoto knockoffs out there? Or are the ones listed on eBay likely to be real? (Also check 5007487583, 5008809653 and 5008931815.)

Another unrelated question - what age is appropriate to give a child her first strand? And what size, type of pearl and price range would you recommend for a generational family keepsake?

Thank you so much!

I think 7.5mm Akoya would be best for a generational keepsake. I don't think pearls keep very well over generations, however. As to cost, the credited response is the best you can afford! :) I received my first pearl pendant when I was around 6, but for a strand, I think 16 is a good age if she enjoys pearls. Any younger and she is unlikely to fully appreciate the beauty of pearls and/or not care for them properly. If she is not partial to pearls, 20-22 would be a good age (although she isn't a child anymore!) because by then she'll at least be able to use them as part of her business and dress-up wardrobe, and be able to appreciate good quality pearls not only for their loveliness but also as a status symbol.

Dear Jules,
I took the liberty of investigating the Mikimoto items for you. These two (5007487583, 5008809653) appear to be from sellers whom have received high ratings and the pieces seem to be previously owned. As for the liquidated items, I would be a bit wary, especially on Ebay. There are many dishonest sellers on Ebay so be very careful.

As for your questions:
what age is appropriate to give a child her first strand? And what size, type of pearl and price range would you recommend for a generational family keepsake?
How old is she? Do you want her to be able to wear them now or keep them as a keepsake until she gets older? I have had many clients purchase pearls for their children at a very early age. Specifically, if you want her to be able to wear them, you can have them strung at a specific length but order enough matched pearls so that you can continually have them restrung as she grows. If you want her to be able to wear them as a young girl, I recommend purchasing pearls in the 6.5mm or 7.0mm range. If she will have them as a keepsake to wear when she gets older, I would recommend 7.5mm pearls. I hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, I would be glad to assist you.

Definitely stay away from the 'antique' Mikimoto. I see nothing in the auction that would convince me the pearls are from Mikimoto. What I do see, however, is that the pearls have not been well cared for and the nacre has been damaged and yellowed over the years.

Regarding the liquidation of the Mikimoto inventory, something just does not sit right with me.
Before purchasing I would ask the following questions:

What Mikimoto line do the pearls come from - blue lagoon, sea magic, etc? (the pearls are overvalued if from these lines, but undervalued for Mikimoto gold)

What was the name of the store selling the goods? They cannot come from an actual Mikimoto store, that would be an absurd answer, and an obvious lie - could you imagine Mikimoto commissioning some to sell off their inventory on eBay?!?! That would be like the Louvre asking one of the many street/art vendors in Paris to sell off La Jaconde.

Where is store located?

Then, contact the store, and contact Mikimoto to see if they are indeed authorized dealers. If they are not, contact eBay!

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. I found this board only yesterday and I already feel confident that I will learn a great deal from all of you.

I've been researching pearls online for months and most of the information has been either generic or conflicting - a pearl novice (that would be me) on the boards greatly benefits from your participation. Once again, I appreciate your responses.

Hi Jules,

Welcome to the site, Likeke you I am also a Pearl hobbyist. If ther is such a term that exists... anyway. a few months ago I found this great site purely by accident while surfing! The Good and Kind Gentles here have helped imensely in all aspects of my insaciable(sp) thirst and Hunger for pearl knowledge... I am sure you will feel the same.. Welcome!

Ash/Satine

I like these new thread suggestions at the bottom of the thread. Led me to this one. So, I went e-bay looking and here's what I found. How suspicious are these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GLISTENING-ESTA...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

No knots in a Miki bracelet? Check out the hallmark and clasp. Probably the best imitation I've seen so far, stylewise, but they need to research their hallmarks a bit more.

And I love this one ... 6.6 - 6.8 MM SOUTH SEAS! pearl bracelet with a 4.3MM SS pearl on the clasp! No self-respecting SS pearl would dare show it's pearly face in those sizes. And again, where, oh where, have my little knots gone.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIKIMOTO-South-...yZ110471QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, how spooky, Knottess,
I was just looking at that first seller this afternoon - my sister appears to have found a Miki strand in amongst an auction lot she bought yesterday, and I was looking for pics. of the Miki mark to e-mail to her so she can check against the mark on her necklace.

Single or double strand?

Real Mikimoto clasp.

Attachments

• realdeal2.jpg
    realdeal2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 53
  • realdeal3.jpg
    realdeal3.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 60
The left side of the clamshell on the hallmark is a bit wider than the right side. If that detail is missing, that's a dead giveaway that it's a fake. The same goes for the M. The downstroke is just a bit wider on the left than the right. The topside of the clasp is so distinctive. Once you're familiar with it, you'll never mistake a fake again. They never use 14KT or 18KT markings. They use the, I think it's called the English method, of metal marking.

The more vintage clasps aren't as easy to tell, but you can always look for that dead giveaway clamshell. Oh, BTW, I forgot they don't always knot their strands in Japan. My bad.

Oh, and remember you're only buying the clasp. Without that, even Miki won't certify the strand. They can't tell their pearls from anyone else's.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Knotty - I've sent the link to this thread to my sister.
She did tell me single or double, but I've forgotten....
I'm seeing her on Sunday, I'll let you know.

Knotty, thanks for the details about the minute differences in the Miki stamp - I don't think I would ever have noticed that.

Jules, I just am sending my niece her first real pearl strand for her 7th birthday. She is small and likely always will be (mom is only 4 ft 8 in) so I went with something small - 5.5 mm. I also expect that she will wear these pearls all the time (school, dance, dinner etc.). I made the strand just over 14 inches, but I am sending extra pearls to make it 17 inches if she ever chooses. As she gets older she may want bigger pearls, but I thought this was a good start. Good luck.

Back