mikimoto clasp

lilly

Does anyone know if all mikimoto pearls have stamped clasps? I have a set that was purchased in Japan in the late 50's/early 60's and is in a mikimoto box (I know that may mean nothing) but the clasp has no stamp. I am interested as the strand was appraised at almost $1500 but, I have an estate jewelry buyer that wants to purchase them for $200 as he indicated that no matter when or where mikimoto sold their necklaces, all clasps were stamped. (these have not been re-strung)
thanks

Lily: You're learning the difference in values. An appraisal value may be for insurance purposes, replacement, retail, or court matters. You have to be aware of why the appraisal was written. The estate buyer needs to resell the pearls and make a profit. He may sell them that same day or in the next 5 years. It all depends on when an interested buyer comes along. If you have ever priced a used car, you have dealer price, trade-in value, and private sale value. It's the same car, but the values are always different and may vary greatly.

Your pearls: Yes, Miki clasps from that decade should all be stamped. Is it silver or gold? Can you post a picture of it? Thanks!

Hi Lily,

I hate to tell you this, but unless you have the original Miki clasp (stamped), you cannot prove provenance. :mad: The clasp and the original papers are the only things left that can give the pearls a better than average valuation; lose them, and you will end up with fair market value for non-branded pearls.

Knotty is very correct in her ascertation of the different values applied to your necklace... if you want to go through professional channels, then stick with the estate jeweler (after getting an independent estimate on the current Wholesale Value of the piece by an appraiser that really knows pearls- this will cost you approximately $200-).

Ultimately, you will probably be able to get a better price through a private sale. Good luck!

Back