Middle East Pearls

K

krusem

Hey all. First time posting here, but figured someone might be able to help me out with a general question. Right now I'm in Doha Qatar and interested in buying a set of pearls. I just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on the quality of pearls that come out of this region, things I should look for, and whether or not I can get a good bargain in comparison to state-side prices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AAron

Aaron,

What kind of pearls are they? If they are natural you can do much better there, but it is imperative you know that they are naturals. If they are offering the set for just a few hundred or so you can be sure they are not. If the pearls are freshwater or akoya then they are not from the area, and deals would likely be similar to those found anywhere else.

Honestly I'm unsure. How can I tell whether they are natural or not? I know that one of Doha's large trades was petroleum and pearls. I've seen quite a bit since I've been here, but never knew what to ask while looking at them.

Back