Melo melo?

Pattye, You beat me to it with Jeremy. I was going to ask you, vroom, where are you located? That might help figure out who could help you.

I am in East TN and I honestly do not know what to do with this pearl.

It is so beautiful I just want to hold it, but melos are hot right now and that might not always be so. From the web they seen to go for $500 to $2000 a carat. Of course there would be taxes and commissions and Dave may be right that this melo is only worth about $500 it does have flaws and flats but I note so do others. No offense Dave.

Your situation has got me thinking. I have been collecting data on individual people trying to sell their personal pearl or pearls for years. Here are a few thoughts I have collected over the years. There are options for selling. There may even be people who are interested looking at this thread and will contact you with an offer.

It is a weird thing with unconventional natural pearls when you wish to sell them that you usually have to create the market yourself to get a high price. This is easier said than done for one pearl or one pearl necklace.

What Dave said about Quahog pearls is especially true, and even though abalone pearls are supposedly very highly valued, they aren't doing any better than the quahogs. The ones who value them that highly, are selling, not buying. Antz, a member here is selling them on eBay after introducing them here. In fact he just closed 3 auctions that started with $.99 and never got bid up to anything near the usual abalone prices you see from the other few people who even sell them on the open market as retailers. I got one of those pearls for $15. and the others never made it to $100. Sven of Augustus Pearls on eBay is retail pricing abalone pearls at what I would think is a fair price, but they are selling very, very slowly. That guy from Baja California has his own website and sells several kinds of natural pearls he collects from Baja locals. He shows his sold pearls on another page and seems to be selling quite a few. I would contact him and ask who his market is as he appears to be able to sell them.

When people have a rare pearl they found, or got for cheap, they always think it is worth far more than it is and are very disappointed with the truth. Such pearls do not go for very much on the open market like eBay. You would have to target your sale to people who buy it raw. You are the "native" in this case and it is well known that the local finders of pearls get the lowest amount possible for any kind of natural pearl whether they they sell direct or to resellers. If you sell direct as a private party, the individuals who buy, whether professional or private buyers know they will never pay for all the wholesalers in between you and its final value and will not pay anything near retail valuations. A professional collector or a jeweler who bought it direct from you would want to deduct for every perceived flaw and give you the lowest price possible.

If you simply must sell, your best bet is to sell it to a reseller, or price it at .99 on eBay and see where it goes, you could get lucky.

If you want to be more than the "native" you have to market the pearl. If it is the only pearl you have, it is hardly worth the work. Same goes for people with grandmothers' pearl necklaces they want to sell when they need money. They think pearls are are valuable and saleable for their weight in gold. The prices on Ebay for grandmother's akoya strands say they are worth far less than they ever dreamed. Sale prices are often in the $400 range or they don't sell on eBay. Several of us look at "completed sales" listings and learn the real truth of what stuff actually sells for.

You might reasonably expect 25% of a professional retail value, just as with most resold objects like books.

You might reasonably expect 25% of a professional retail value, just as with most resold objects like books.

And what would be retail on such an object be?

I don't have to sell, we are "well off" as things be. No debt just monthly bills - just starring at retirement with an inadequate pension - I might rather leave an object of wonder as a legacy.

My only thought is is this the time to sell? I don't need ink stains on a bank account in no account dollars unless the # is so great I can tell my evil employer to go - Um insert unpleasant language here - and go to the press with what I know.

Told you the movie rights to my life alone are worth millions if I don't get the silkwood treatment.

And along comes this pearl? I'm not a man given to destination but sometimes on wonders?

So you see I am not some poor native I can sit on this and take my pleasure in its wonder. I can abide my troubles for some time.

And perhaps that is wealth?

Sorry if I sound arrogant (I don't mean too) and I respect the wisdom and knowledge here and greatly appreciate the aid so freely given.

I wonder if I should just send images to major auction houses and see what they say?

I think you sound realistic. I know you aren't a "native", I just said you are in the position of one in the food chain.

Asking those auction houses is a good option. You should explore it. More knowledgeable people use those places than eBay buyers and sellers. Find out if it is unique enough for them to be interested. I'd suggest a good photo of each view and the size noted as someone else suggested.

Oh yeah. I just remembered Kari of karipearls.com. She will probably list it for you, though I don't know what her deal is- she has a very unique and interesting site with a lot of natural pearls. She may be just right for you, come to think.....

A link to some other melo melos. More here

Did you search pearl guide for previous articles? Here is one of them. that guy is a buyer, too. You need to google every single bit of this subject and search pearl-guide. The more you know for sure, the better your target price will be. And I can't give that to you, you have to do the research on what those are selling for.

Are you into those natural river pearls in your area?

I think you sound realistic. I know you aren't a "native", I just said you are in the position of one in the food chain.

Asking those auction houses is a good option. You should explore it. More knowledgeable people use those places than eBay buyers and sellers. Find out if it is unique enough for them to be interested. I'd suggest a good photo of each view and the size noted as someone else suggested.

Oh yeah. I just remembered Kari of karipearls.com. She will probably list it for you, though I don't know what her deal is- she has a very unique and interesting site with a lot of natural pearls. She may be just right for you, come to think.....

A link to some other melo melos. More here

Did you search pearl guide for previous articles? Here is one of them. that guy is a buyer, too. You need to google every single bit of this subject and search pearl-guide. The more you know for sure, the better your target price will be. And I can't give that to you, you have to do the research on what those are selling for.

Are you into those natural river pearls in your area?

Oh I did not take offense some of the best folks ever are "natives" just wanted to clarify that I don't have to sell - a privileged position and I give thanks for it.

And thank you for the kari contact I was thinking of another lady in Nashville. I'll send her some images and see what she says. One expects one would like to use a major house with an auction in the middle east if they are at all interested.

What with fees and taxes It may very well be that this is kept as an heirloom of my house.

My that sounds pretentious - reading lord of the rings a bit too much LOL, but I happened upon a stone reader who got very excited about The "energy" of this pearl - without being condescending in the least I don't know what that means - still something about stones and such has a powerful effect on my mood - whatever that means.

And yes I am into the natural river pearls from east tn and even have a few small ones. Now I know where to go find more a jeweler in Knoxville specializes in them I must go.

Its late and I am rambling more than usual.

Happy New Year!

Back