Malaysian Pearls???

TallyPearls

Hello everyone,
I recently attended a jewelry fair and met some dealers from Malaysia. Am I correct to assume that all pearls form Malaysia can also be qualified as South Sea Pearls? I have included pics below of some of the strands they offered and was surprised by the colors. I am definitely a newbie to the pearl world, but was not thinking they would have this range of colors in a SSP. I typically think of shades of golden, silver, and maybe some pinkish in the SSP, but they had more variety and even deep purple. Anyone familiar with the Malay pearls? Have a look if you have a moment and thanks for any insight!
baroque freshwater strand with mixed colors
multicolor freshwater pearl strands
White freshwater pearl strands
lavender freshwater pearl strands
color treated freshwater pearl strands
gold south sea pearl strand

They're all freshwater from China (with the proviso that the golds might be SS but unlikely given the others are all bead nucleated Chinese freshwaters)

Completely agree with Wendy. From the photo seem to be nice quality cultured Chinese pearls. The black pearls are dyed and probably the golden strand. The purple. peach, pinks are typical freshwater colors. So the sellers were asking South Sea prices for these? Do you want to share what was the cost of the golden pearls?

the only Malaysian South Sea pearl farm belongs to Edward Kong in Kuala Lumpur.

Thank you all for you comments and insight. Pattye, no they weren't asking South Sea prices for all as there were other sellers offering gold strands that were legit and were higher. This particular strand was the cheapest of this seller’s golden strands and were being offered around $250. 13-15mm. The seller had others that I could not really tell the difference in size and quality that were double the price. I will go back and drill them about the pearls further for the fun of it and see why they are insisting they are from Malaysia. Maybe she was just not knowledgable, but maybe they are scamming, who knows. I would have thought at International Jewlery Fair they would be more legit vendors. But this is the first one I have ever been, so more just feeling it all out and try to learn a little bit. Thanks again all.

Oh, and I also asked about the deep purple/black ones if they were dyed and she pulled out some wire cutters and scrapped the surface of one of them to show they had not been dyed. How deep will the dye penetrate the nacre usually? Thanks!

Oh, and I also asked about the deep purple/black ones if they were dyed and she pulled out some wire cutters and scrapped the surface of one of them to show they had not been dyed. How deep will the dye penetrate the nacre usually? Thanks!

This fact alone tells me they are inexpensive, dyed Chinese FW. No one in their right mind would damage an expensive Tahitian.

As for the price of the golden ones, it's a dead give away too. Try to look at some websites like Pearl Paradise and see what they're asking for their SSP.

- Karin

Back