mabe questions

m4816k

Community member
Are there freshwater mabe pearls?

Are they expensive?

Are they generally of diferent quality than other FWP's?

How are they in terms of durability/wearability?

Are they treated (other than shaped)?

Thank you!

I've seen button shaped CFWP set to look like mabe, but I have never heard of real CFW mabe pearls.

If that's the case, I'd appreciate answers to all questions above, except first and last, like they're asked regarding button shaped FWP's.

And some more - are treatments done on pearls permanent and how can I make sure that I don't end up with something like dye washing off etc.?

How reliable is the tooth test?

m4816k,

Here's my take on a couple of your questions--

"tooth test" best done pearl to pearl--on the same strand (Betty Sue King style.) It is very subtle grittiness felt through the fingers, and if you have a faux strand of pearls to compare the feel with, usually they are very smooth, it helps. It is just one factor to consider. Usually there are more definitive visual clues as to whether a strand is faux or real.

Dyes--I feel most are pretty good, as factories have been doing this for quite a while now. If you are buying very inexpensive pearls, however, and when you look closely there appears to be areas where there is more dye, often the less perfect pearls are dyed, give them a gentle bath in castile soap to check for color loss. Remember that the string is often dyed also and will release color.

Wearability and durability of pearls often has a lot to do with the wearer, how they understand basic pearl care, and how the pearl is mounted and what kind of setting.

I have never seen freshwater mabes-----------

Just my opinion------

Last edited by a moderator:
m4816k,

Here's my take on a couple of your questions--

"tooth test" best done pearl to pearl--on the same strand (Betty Sue King style.) It is very subtle grittiness felt through the fingers, and if you have a faux strand of pearls to compare the feel with, usually they are very smooth, it helps. It is just one factor to consider. Usually there are more definitive visual clues as to whether a strand is faux or real.

Dyes--I feel most are pretty good, as factories have been doing this for quite a while now. If you are buying very inexpensive pearls, however, and when you look closely there appears to be areas where there is more dye, often the less perfect pearls are dyed, give them a gentle bath in castile soap to check for color loss. Remember that the string is often dyed also and will release color.

Wearability and durability of pearls often has a lot to do with the wearer, how they understand basic pearl care, and how the pearl is mounted and what kind of setting.

I have never seen freshwater mabes-----------

Just my opinion------

Thanks for all the info. If by "other clues" you're thinking about the fact that faux pearls always look too perfect, I already know that. If it's something else you have in mind, please do tell.

BTW, I was thinking of a mabe (or mabe looking) pearl for a ring. Nothing fancy and overly expensive.

Ok, for a ring, mabe is a viable choice! Also fw button would be available in high quality and large size, and a variety of colors, I like large, personally. Do you already have a mounting that you want to use the pearl in? Or start with the pearl and have mounting designed for or found for it? The higher cost probably would be for the gold, not the pearl!

Many of the online sellers who post here do that sort of custom work.

The plump 'coin' freshwater pearls that may fill in for a traditional 'mabe' shape in a setting are anything but expensive... and some have very nice colors indeed. I quite prefer the ones with wavy surface... but traditionally, even ones are supposed to be better.

some examples:

colorful thick coin-shaped freshwater

thicker 'buttons' (rounds flattened more or less on one side)

and

all sorts of other mabes including some traditional 'mabe gai' (the drop shapes)

I am sure many other shops have similar things. These just came handy.

111df791f588a995ff9463ab9780a0d8.jpg

Thanks Marcus:
That's an amazing website. Makes me realize what a tiny flea I am in terms of the pearl world. Beautiful work. Julie Andrews wears mabe' earrings and Diana used to also. Of course Diana wore all kinds of pearls. American Pearl seems to have a wonderfully diverse selection of mabe and other pearl accents.
Did I really see an abalone pendant for $90,000? I kept staring at it trying to figure out WHY. I love abalone and the pendant was great but why? Is is 22KT gold? Huge. What?
The rest of it seems expensive but in line with what it is. The earrings and pendants are to die for!
Thanks again, that was fun!!!
barbie

Just in case someone reading this gets confused, the American Pearl COMPANY is the Latendresses' company, whereas American Pearl without the Company after it, is a NYC outfit with its roots in Japanese pearl culture so much it denied that akoyas are mostly from China nowadays. He also seems to be another, like Mastoloni is, second generation company that has a jealous streak about Jeremy upstarting in and becoming more succesful on line than they are..

Back