Loot: Circl? Tahitians

Hi Airdancer,
They are about 10mm. Big enough ;-)
John

Can someone give me an explanation for the cause of the circles on pearls? Did I read somewhere on here that they are growth rings?

Just wondering because I just bought my second strand, 1st baroques, from Cathy, and they were ringed.

Still learning....

Hi Drucilla,

there are posts about how the circling begins, I don?t quite remember but I think it has to do when the oyster moves and the pearl in the pearl saq is moved too... and then also the nacre thickness in different spots can vary, being thicker in certain places than others...

Thanks, Jerin, I was just curious, and wanted to know more about my new "babies."

Hi Drucilla,

There are a few theories about the circles. The one I believe is most widely accepted basically states that the pearls rotate in the pearl sac. This could create concentric grooves with an axis of symmetry. The gonad is not round but more of a rough teardrop shape and it would put some pressure on the pearl sac and growth of the pearl. So as the pearl spins it would be somewhat elongated which is almost always the case with circle pearls.

Other theories include damage to the pearl sac caused by disease or stress, or use of low-grade nuclei. These theories can actually tie into the first, so it may be that they are all partly correct.

Wow, that's very interesting. Thanks so much, Jeremy! I have a greater appreciation for my baroques now. Pearls are simply so amazing, each and every one, perfectly round, or baroque, aren't they? I just love their uniqueness.

Drucilla

Those loot pearls are pretty amazing. I saw only 1 baroque strand in HI that is as lustrous as Jeremy's loot pearls. It was priced 5 times higher even after 25% discount. Some strands sold there are not even well matched.

Back