Kasumi Pearls

heartofawareness

I was looking at the Kasumi pearls on @kojimapearl's website . I have never seen one in person and up to recently, I didn't know they existed. I just wanted to know what criteria is used when buying one for oneself? There are so many kinds: some smooth , some deeply rippled, some pastel, some metallic, some earth-tone, round, baroque and the prices vary just as much. I'm also interested in knowing who has Kasumi pearls (picture too), and the story behind why you picked the one(s) you purchased...I love sharing and I can't wait to see your beauties...

I love Japan Kasumi pearls! They are a rare treasure, not only for their beauty, but for the labor of love that goes into their being. Only 3 farmers produce these pearls. Sarah and Fuji (Kojima Pearl and Pacific Pearl) have a personal relationship with the farmers and are able to secure the nicest selection from each harvest.

I can search for more pics, as I wasn’t prepared to download when I logged in-

These are all from Kojima/Pacific Pearl) My most recent purchase was a single purple Kasumi. I had to have it for my collection as it is so rare for size, color and condition. This pearl will remain undrilled.
single purple Kasumi from Kojima/Pacific Pearl

And close to the same time, I also purchased a pair of earrings because I loved the metallic golden coloring. (website pic)
natural metallic golden coloring kasumi earrings

Another rare piece is this necklace of Kasumi keshi I purchased from a visit to the studio. Sarah said she had the keshi for a while, and Mr. Yanase had been tossing them into a bag over the years. (the larger strand)
 metallic golden coloring

And a special strand that was the 2019 top harvest strand. The pendant is an Edison pearl from PP.
 pendant is an Edison pearl from PP And a special strand that was the 2019 top harvest strand

I will look for a pic of a smooth Kasumi ring I have. I chose the pearl at one of the PP Ruckus’ and had Sarah set it on a wavy band.

I love Japan Kasumi pearls! They are a rare treasure, not only for their beauty, but for the labor of love that goes into their being. Only 3 farmers produce these pearls. Sarah and Fuji (Kojima Pearl and Pacific Pearl) have a personal relationship with the farmers and are able to secure the nicest selection from each harvest.

These are all from Kojima/Pacific Pearl) My most recent purchase was a single purple Kasumi. I had to have it for my collection as it is so rare for size, color and condition. This pearl will remain undrilled.
View attachment 464451

And close to the same time, I also purchased a pair of earrings because I loved the metallic golden coloring. (website pic)
View attachment 464455

Another rare piece is this necklace of Kasumi keshi I purchased from a visit to the studio. Sarah said she had the keshi for a while, and Mr. Yanase had been tossing them into a bag over the years. (the larger strand)View attachment 464453

And a special strand that was the 2019 top harvest strand. The pendant is an Edison pearl from PP.
View attachment 464454

I will look for a pic of a smooth Kasumi ring I have. I chose the pearl at one of the PP Ruckus’ and had Sarah set it on a wavy band.
I can understand why you don't want to drill that beautiful purple Kasumi pearl @jeg Isn't purple the rarest and most treasured Kasumi color? AhhH...so beautiful ...so metallic...and yet, the non-metallic ones are beautiful too...It takes the right creative source to really showcase these beauties. I can't wait to add one to my collection... I am guessing you live in the San Rafael area? I noticed in your pictures there were many beautiful pearls that are not on the website. Maybe Sarah will start doing virtual appointments on Zoom and feature some of her in-store stock...(get ready for trouble, LOL),..

Found it, and a few more…
The ring is a smooth pink Kasumi
The ring is a smooth pink Kasumi

The tiny keshi are Kasumi keshi I purchased from Druzy Design, the pendant is an Edison from PP, and the studs are natural white Akoya from Takahashi.
tiny colorful keshi are Kasumi keshi I purchased from Druzy Design. The white keshi are Akoya, the pendant is an Edison from Pearl Paradise, and the studs are natural white Akoya from Takahashi.

And another pic of the Kasumi keshi necklace from Kojima. Earrings are from little h.
Kasumi keshi necklace from Kojima. Earrings are from little h

Last edited:
I can understand why you don't want to drill that beautiful purple Kasumi pearl @jeg Isn't purple the rarest and most treasured Kasumi color? AhhH...so beautiful ...so metallic...and yet, the non-metallic ones are beautiful too...It takes the right creative source to really showcase these beauties. I can't wait to add one to my collection... I am guessing you live in the San Rafael area? I noticed in your pictures there were many beautiful pearls that are not on the website. Maybe Sarah will start doing virtual appointments on Zoom and feature some of her in-store stock...(get ready for trouble, LOL),..
No, I live near Seattle, but it is an easy hop down to California. There are always so many treasures that are not on the website. The same for visiting the PP vault. Shelves and shelves of pearls sorted into tubs!

No, I live near Seattle, but it is an easy hop down to California. There are always so many treasures that are not on the website. The same for visiting the PP vault. Shelves and shelves of pearls sorted into tubs!
I had been guessing that you live in Hawaii from the lovely outdoor photos that you post. You are inspiring us all to build our collections!

View attachment 464451

View attachment 464455

Another rare piece is this necklace of Kasumi keshi I purchased from a visit to the studio. Sarah said she had the keshi for a while, and Mr. Yanase had been tossing them into a bag over the years. (the larger strand)View attachment 464453

View attachment 464454

@jeg if you get a chance sometime to model this gorgeous strand of 2019 Kasumi's would LOVE to see them on you. I'm with @Marlakins, I thought you were in the tropics as well. The background in your pictures looks very lush, and very sunny for Seattle, LOL

I confuse a lot of people, Marlakins and heartofawareness.:giggle: I go back and forth to Hawaii a lot. Even the Hawaiians think I am a “local” and when I’m there, I get asked for directions from tourists all the time. I live in a beautiful part of the Pacific Northwest, surrounded by water, mountains, and lots of green. Haha, heartofawareness, we do get sun. Not enough for my liking. I actually try to take pics when there isn’t as much sun coming through the windows so I don’t get the shadows and reflections.

So, heartofawareness, I hope it’s ok that I went back through my pics and found a couple I have posted before rather than take a new pic. The Kasumi strand is paired with a Sea of Cortez mabe necklace from Kojima, in the first pic.
Kasumi strand is paired with a Sea of Cortez mabe necklace from Kojima
Kasumi strand

Freshwater Kasumigaura strand

I confuse a lot of people, Marlakins and heartofawareness.:giggle: I go back and forth to Hawaii a lot. Even the Hawaiians think I am a “local” and when I’m there, I get asked for directions from tourists all the time. I live in a beautiful part of the Pacific Northwest, surrounded by water, mountains, and lots of green. Haha, heartofawareness, we do get sun. Not enough for my liking. I actually try to take pics when there isn’t as much sun coming through the windows so I don’t get the shadows and reflections.

So, heartofawareness, I hope it’s ok that I went back through my pics and found a couple I have posted before rather than take a new pic. The Kasumi strand is paired with a Sea of Cortez mabe necklace from Kojima, in the first pic.
View attachment 464460View attachment 464461View attachment 464462View attachment 464463View attachment 464464
Absolutely fine @jeg ...why reinvent the wheel if you already have pictures. Holy cow, those pearls are SPECTACULAR! So beautiful! Look at the glow coming out of those babies. Thanks so much for indulging me, LOL...Your dress is very pretty too that's my kinda style and it looks great with all of your perly beauties. Do you get to wear your pearls often? I bet they are conversation starters they're so amazing....

Absolutely fine @jeg ...why reinvent the wheel if you already have pictures. Holy cow, those pearls are SPECTACULAR! So beautiful! Look at the glow coming out of those babies. Thanks so much for indulging me, LOL...Your dress is very pretty too that's my kinda style and it looks great with all of your perly beauties. Do you get to wear your pearls often? I bet they are conversation starters they're so amazing....
The Sea of Cortez is stunning. It reminds me of an Irish Claddagh ring.

jeg, you have the most amazing pearl collection I think I have ever seen. Please add me to the list that thought you lived in Hawaii, lol.

As an alternative to Kasumi pearls, there are Chinese freshwater ripples. Less expensive, but I have a strand where I cannot tell the difference between my Kasumi pearls and the ripples. Kojima and Pacific Pearls also sell the Chinese freshwater ripples.

Earrings and pendant, Kasumi pearls from Kojima. Necklace is Chinese ripples from Pacific Pearls.
Earrings and pendant, Kasumi pearls from Kojima. Necklace is Chinese ripples from Pacific Pearls.

In the Kojima rope below, the 3 pink pearls next to each other are smooth Kasumi pearls. This is my Everything Bagel rope, because it has every sort of pearl in it. Kasumi, Kamoka Tahitian keshi, South Sea white and gold, and lots of blue and green baroque akoyas.

In the Kojima rope below, the 3 pink pearls next to each other are smooth Kasumi pearls. Everything Bagel rope: Kasumi, Kamoka Tahitian keshi, South Sea white and gold, blue and green baroque akoyas.

Last edited:
I’ve always loved that pendant, BWeaves.

Thanks so much, Marlakins, heartofawareness, and CatMom! Haha, as you can see, CatMom, you’re not alone. Even my friends, whom I’ve only known as an adult, obviously know where I live, but they still think I’m from Hawaii. Heartofawareness, I know very little about that flower necklace except that I bought it in a little store in Paris. It’s really well constructed, as the links have a lot of movement, but when I wear it, the flowers stay nicely in place and there’s no flipping.

I had to go back and make a correction to one of my posts. The very tiny pearl chain is made of all Kasumi keshi. I was thinking the white ones were Akoya, but I went back to look in my files and they are all Kasumi.

As an alternative to Kasumi pearls, there are Chinese freshwater ripples. Less expensive, but I have a strand where I cannot tell the difference between my Kasumi pearls and the ripples. Kojima and Pacific Pearls also sell the Chinese freshwater ripples.

View attachment 464468

In the Kojima rope below, the 3 pink pearls next to each other are smooth Kasumi pearls. This is my Everything Bagel rope, because it has every sort of pearl in it. Kasumi, Kamoka Tahitian keshi, South Sea white and gold, and lots of blue and green baroque akoyas.

View attachment 464469
Absolutely breathtaking @BWeaves I LOVE all of these...It's great when you can find one piece that is your 'go-to' piece because it goes with everything...!! :love::love: I did end up getting a Kasumi. I wore it today with my ripples.. You're right about the similarities between the ripples and kasumi but I did notice the kasumi were more lustrous and had a glow emmanating from them that the ripples didn't have.

There are ripples, and then there are ripples. The ripples I lucked into are indistinguishable from my Kasumi pearls. But I've seen plenty of ripples that don't hold a candle to Kasumis, too.

Back