Junk store find

Noddy

While rummaging in a junk store looking for beads, I found this strand. They felt and looked very similar to my mother's Mikimoto strand which I inherited and wear regularly. The beads are quite dull, but have a decent weight to them. The clasp is marked "silver'. Could these possibly be real pearls?

EZ4F3340.jpgEZ4F3342.jpgEZ4F3345.jpgEZ4F3348.jpgEZ4F3351.jpg

Welcome, Noddy.

I am quite certain that you have a strand of imitation pearls. See the peeling areas on the 2 adjacent pearls in the enlarged photo showing the back of the clasp? That is what one sees with imitation pearls.

The pearls are also extremely uniform and lack any sort of overtones. The reason they are heavy is that the bead inside is glass.

Sorry to disappoint...but it's great that you have inherited your mother's Mikis! How about a few photos of those? :)

Also, for future reference when in a shop... there is a quick way to see if the pearls are real nacre vs imitation pearly coating: real nacre offers slight resistance when 2 pearls are gently rubbed together, while imitation nacre feels smooth. This usually works, unless the pearls are so grimy that they are rough.

It's the more sanitary version of the tooth test (rubbing the pearl gently against the edge of one's tooth)-- I cannot imagine doing that to any pearls in any shop. Yuck!

Thank you for your reply and gentle letdown :) However as I only paid $2 for them I think I will cope.

I will be happy to post pics of my mothers miki pearls for you. If however, you detect that those are also fake, please lie!!

;) I'm sure there will be no need to lie! Do start a new thread for the Mikis and put them in the forum called "Show Us Your Pearls".

Glad you didn't pay too much for the imitations!

Back