Jewelry, Mineral and Gem Show 2007 - Golden, CO

Mandy

So! I just found out today through my geology grad and undergrad mailing list that this show, sponsored by the Denver Gem and Mineral Guild, is happening this weekend at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds. Too bad there's a chance it'll snow but my boyfriend Travis has offered to take me to Golden to check it out!

The first day of it was today (Feb. 23rd) but it lasts until Sunday and ends at 5pm that day. Anyone in the Denver area/Colorado planning on going? I'm hoping to see some fab display pieces, specimens and perhaps some nice beads (I'll keep an eye out for some pretty pearls too ;)). I'll probably take some pictures too with my digital camera, but if not a disposable will have to do. I'll keep everyone posted should the snow not be so bad and I get to go! <3

HI Mandy
PLease do give us a report. Review some of the pearl booths and give us an overview of the kinds of merchedise.

Will you need a resale license or tax certificate to get in? Please let us know these thing.

BTW Welcome to the Lowly Beaders Club. You became a member when you declared for beads. I like your signature.

Since it has not be posted in a while, the latin expression in mine and Perlas signatures is a punny way of saying- "From freshwater mussels come many things."

Certainly most of the so-called "bead quality" pearls come from unios or mussels. As you have undoubtably noticed, bead quality pearls are rather lowly in the pearl world. Maybe the colors the pearls get dyed--- charteuse, pink, purple, all circus colors too, contributes to this image. Not to mention the odd shapes and misshapes. Lower quality keshi (is there really such a thing? All fw keshi has great orient and luster in general) and coin pearls have fabulous orient though. In fact, I am of the opinion that CFWP can be grown to suit any pearl taste in size, and dyed (or bleached) to suit any color preferences.

Hey Caitlin!
Travis and I have the good fortune of having a clear (although a little windy) day today with no snow. We were able to travel to Golden without my trouble, even though we've never been to Golden, and got into the show for free (no admission, whoo!) so I doubt any sort of liscense is needed to get a good peek inside ;)

Unfortunately I did not see many pearls ;( I saw no bead strands; only the loose kind and very small. I did see a couple tiny baroque shaped pearls but they were white and I wasn't impressed by them. There were a couple of mabe pearl pendants and they were well sized but the surface of them wern't as smooth as I've seen some mabes to be. I did see however a couple of interesting carved pendants that looked to have pearl beads trapped or coated under a nacre layer like a mabe pearl but they were smaller and more pronounced. I forget what type those are called (maybe mabe as well?) but they had very nice luster and carved in the shape of a teardrop.
They were kinda like this except lighter and had more than one:
Mabe%20Pearl.jpg

There were however many different kinds of displays put up by numerous people from Denver and surrounding areas. Plenty of small and larger specimens (like fossils) and lapidary items were for sale and I found some gorgeous opal and chrysoberyl cabochons one seller had on display but I did not purchase any (way too expensive for me right now!). I did however pick up a little trilobite (I named him Fred :p) and a small 4mm heart-shaped carved opal cabochon that I have yet to find a suitable mount for.

Today's attendance was pretty well-sized too, which made me happy. There was certainly a good level of activity going on with plenty of kids and adults. Although there were two big rooms for all the tables and displays it only made me wonder what the big shows are like, like the one everyone talks about in Tuscon. I so want to go!

Travis and I ended up staying for around 2 hours before heading back home. I forgot to bring my blasted camera so no photos from me ;( Sorry! Maybe at some point I'll be able to show the cute trilobite and opal I got once I find a mount for it.

Last edited:
Back