ISO loose pearls. Where do I go?

NorseMountain

I’m a silversmith and budding lapidary artist, but I know very little about pearls. I do know how to hand knit beads pretty well, and would like to (after some practice on fake pearls) knot a set for myself and a set for my mom. She’s a wonderful old coot who deserves a nice gift. My question is where do I find loose gem-grade FWP or very lustrous akimo pearls that are reliable quality at a more wholesale price? I’m in Colorado and have two small children, so I’m pretty limited to online shopping. I’m not rolling in $$$ so affordability is a concern, but quality is very slightly more important. Help! I’m afraid of getting screwed over as a newbie and I can’t afford to buy them twice. Thanks for any advice you can offer on dealers! P.s. I’m extra interested in getting a few high luster pearls with lots of orient/iridescence for a silver pendant I’m working on.

One place to start, I recommend you contact Sarah at KojimaPearl.com. She has gorgeous finished jewelry on her website, some loose pearls, too, and I'm sure many more strands that aren't listed. She's a trustworthy member here; many of us have purchased from her.

There are vendors on Etsy some here buy loose pearls from-- WenPearls and KongsPearl are a few-- but I'm not sure about gem grade.

Back