Is this worth it?

Hi Mike,

It is not worth it to me but maybe to somebody who just wants provenance and a certificate. My basic rule is simple: A gem that is not beautiful is not a gem. The same applies to food. Food that is not delicious is not worth eating.

Zeide

Can a conch pearl come from somewhere else than Carribean Waters

Can a conch pearl come from somewhere else than Carribean Waters

Hello,
I have always thought that Strombus Giga were only found in Carribean Waters. Is it recorded that conch pearls can be found in Asia waters ? What's your opinion ? Thanks :)

Hi Ciclasp,

Conch pearls are not limited to the queen conch and other conchs live in all oceans (execpt maybe the Arctic ocean). You may also be offered Tridacna pearls as conch pearls or, if the seller is a street vendor, a carved coral.

Zeide

Interesting object... whatever mollusk it may come from.

I am not sure if Ambra Greco are represented in the States at all. If so, they carry a collection of conch pearl jewelry. Although overall prices are high as expected from signed jewelry, their offer makes good reference because of volume and variety. One of the sellers posting here has some too - all of traditional traits.

That pearl would be huge, but there is no color and no pattern... If the seller of that one chose to trade size for color so radically, it makes an unusual choice to me.

My 2c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CliClasp,

There's also horse conch in Burmese waters. The conch pearl from the horse conch may also have the coveted flame pattern.

perlas said:
Hi CliClasp,

There's also horse conch in Burmese waters. The conch pearl from the horse conch may also have the coveted flame pattern.

I rever on that matter of Horse conch pearl
Has someone in this forum any picture available?
Isn't it often confused with Melo Melo ?
I often came over that confusion between Melo Melo and Horse conch when googling.
I saw that famous tarentula brooch with a brown Horse conch but the picture is not specific enough to see and learn about Horse conch pearls
Is it brown? reddish?
Any information of how to identify, and in which seas of the world the Horse conch pearl can be found is welcome.

Thanks

Back