Is this a blister pearl?

momsjewel

Hi group. I just bought this interesting necklace at goodwill because I simply liked it. After doing some research I think it is a blister pearl but need confirmation, so I am asking here. It is about 2" x 2" and has a curved shape. The back is marked 925 *66RN. I think it is beautifully made and find it fascinating the way the pearls have grown into it. I have seen some blister pearls going for quite a bit of money, but, I do not know what determines the value in these. Any comments would be welcomed. Thanks all. pearl blister necklace pendant good.jpgpearl blister pendant 3 good.jpgpearl blister pendant back holding.jpgpearl blister necklace pendant mark.jpgpearl blister pendant very close 2.jpgpearl blister necklace whole.jpg

Yes, that's a blister pearl and 925 means sterling silver.

The more valuable blister pearl pendants I've seen have thick, smooth nacre with great iridescence, and a single, larger pearl. A gold setting would also increase the value.

Looks like you have a mix of blister pearls (whole pearls that formed in the mantle & then moved to the shell for some reason where they were covered by subsequent layers of nacre) and blisters (features that formed on the surface of the shell, like a blister on your skin) and aren't strictly speaking "pearls". An interesting probable freshwater piece that is unique in appearance anyway. You couldn't find another the same!

Thanks for your comment. It's definitely unique which I why I like it. Totally am enjoying the learning that happens here.

Back