Is there a shortage of freshwater 7mm and 8mm?

DerekJ

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why good 7mm strands and 8mm strands are so expensive right now. I get quotes from wholesalers and the price is all over the place right now.

My Chinese FWP supplier's 7 and 8 mm's did get a little pricier but I thought it was because the quality was indeed getting better. Prices for the under 4mm's are shocking though - $35 for a strand of AAA round iridescent 3mm's!

They told me it's the cost of labor. Funny, but there's actually a shortage of labor on the Chinese Eastern seaboard as fewer workers need to make the annual migration in search of work. Freshwater pearls have been so abundant and cheap due in large part to cheaper labor, similar to other Chinese exports, but it's changing now. Larger pearls haven't been hit as bad because they don't require so much effort to sort and drill.

I wouldve never guessed cost of labor wouldve been a big deal. I just thought it was really strange getting the $100 spread on same size and quality.

Well Grace Co. has hit the nail on the head with their automated pearl grading and sorting machine given the current labour circumstances, haven't they? Guess time will tell whether the technology can be adopted by the smaller companies.

Back