is the price right for this pearl?

Welcome to Pearl-Guide.

You posted this thread in the Tahitian Pearls forum, however the pearl in your link is a dyed Chinese freshwater pearl-- a different type of pearl entirely, and much lower in value. Were you actually shopping for a Tahitian?

Also, the pearl is listed as being AAAA. Although there is no standardized grading scale for pearls (unlike diamonds), most pearl vendors use an A-AAA scale. Just something to think about.

As to the pearl, the photo is a stock photo. Is $59 an okay price for a 7-8mm dyed Chinese Freshwater pearl? I might shop around some more but it's not awful, assuming it is actually a high quality pearl.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the return policy of any vendor before buying, in case you are not happy with what you receive.

Agree with PD. I also suggest you shop around first. Try checking Wen Pearl on Etsy for instance, just to get an idea of the price. Chinese vendors often exaggerate the grade. So it's safer to assume that the quality is lower than stated to avoid disappointment.

Considering I can get a 8-9mm natural colour Tahitian AAA round loose undrilled pearl for 120 USD from one of my recommended online vendors based in the US, I would definitely suggest shop around first.

DK :)

Well, at least they didn't lie about it being dyed and being freshwater. However, the stock photo shows a very black pearl, and undyed real "black" pearls are usually very colorful. I'd shop around for something nicer. Whenever I see AAAA rating, I assume they are exaggerating a lot about the quality of the pearl.

Yes, it is expensive.

A pair of 7.5-8mm AAA dyed black freshwater pearls set in 14ct gold are $105 at PP full price and they often have 15-20% sales. Even with the matching and gold they are cheaper per pearl.

Alternatively you could get a very nice Tahitian pearl from the Pearl House for less money.

Aw thanks Hanadama!

Personally, I think this is too expensive for what it is - and also anyone who uses AAAA or an AAA+++ grading system definitely raises a red flag for me as well.

You can get a nice 7mm Near-Round Tahitian pearl - (not dyed) for way less money. And the colors would be authentic.

I just ordered some pearls from Jacques after all the glowing reviews I've read here. I'm so excited!

I think what sometimes happens is that new members don't understand why their post doesn't appear right away. New members have to have their first few posts moderated (to prevent spam.)

Sometimes they post a second, identical thread, as this member did, thinking that one will show up. When it doesn't, some of them apparently give up and don't bother checking back.

I thought there was a note that the first posting would be moderated first. I remember because my first post also didn't show up right away. I understood this is how it works.

In the "What kind of Pearls Do I Have" forum, yes, but not in every forum. Maybe it's time to add a sticky to that effect to every forum.

Pareltje, are you saying you saw a note about waiting to be moderated, when trying to post your very first post? It's been so long since I started posting that I don't recall any more.

Back