Intergem in Chantilly this weekend?

Not only is this my old stomping ground (literally) but I would go to the gem shows a lot in my very young days. Btw I have a project in the works with some black spinel and panther heads :)

I was so excited about the panthers! I saw so many different kinds - the one I got opens from both panther mouths, and the ring itself is solid. Not quite as versatile as the rings that open, but I like that they give the option to attach things in either mouth for a different look. So many vendors had fabulous micro-pave findings! I had to control myself and stick to my list lol

Lol I have the opposite problem. I don't have a vendor tax ID and most of the NYC gem shows have really high hurdles to get in (vendors, minimum annual sales requirement, etc etc etc). So I dragged my poor boyfriend and we zip carred all the way out to Whiteplains (1-1.5hrs north of NYC) for the Intergem show. It was so tiny and sad and I could not fulfill 75% of my watch list. So I ended up meandering and that's how I accidentally purchased the panther and lion clasps! They salvaged my trip.

Amti and JP, thanks! Amti, you should definitely play with panther head clasps, there are so many pretty ones out there. They remind me of Cartier pieces. I still need to figure out how to attach kumihimo braid ends to these guys, though, that might prove to be a little tricky. Stay tuned lol.

BPDDC, I wondered if the DC in your handle was for this area or something completely unrelated. I can't wait to see your new project! I've fallen in love with black spinel and have been wearing my kumihimo black spinel piece a lot, the sparkle is out of control. I want to do more fun animal head clasps for sparkly pieces like that, but I think I need non-pave ones to balance out the look (my current one has a plain silver clasp and I like the contrast).

Purr, bummer the fair was small! I've noticed Intergem here seems to vary a bit, too. Last time I didn't find a lot of stuff I wanted, but this time there seemed to be a lot more nicer supplies. Usually the majority of the vendors are selling finished jewelry, and the supplies aren't higher end - no Rio Grande or Gempacked/Bella etc type vendors with sterling and karat gold findings.

Battah, you did great .. so many clasps this time! The Intergem shows really do vary each time, and yes, at times you can do as well or better in the "retail" section than the wholesale room. Philadelphia show the wholesale room is sometimes so small I don't bother. Hope I can make one of the next shows in Chantilly.

Thanks, Cathy! The variability makes the shows fun, I never know what I'll find! Now, to be a good girl and use up the stuff I got...

Hi battah, nice haul! I usually go to the Intergem show in Chantilly, but unfortunately, I had a conflict this past weekend. I also find the show varies, but I almost never find any pearls I like. And like you said, no Bella type vendors. ...maybe in Dec. I have found pearls at the show in Baltimore and at the show at the Gaylord, but they are farther away and I don't make it to those every year.

BPDDC, looking forward to seeing your finished work!

SunSeeker we'll need to have a mini ruckus with Cathy next time there's a show! I made it up to the Maryland harbor one a couple of years ago and it was pretty nice, too, though I don't remember exactly what I snagged there.

Katbran, some of the displays are SO distracting! I normally don't go with a plan and sort of let inspiration strike me, but that can get overwhelming. Sticking to my list definitely helped making the big displays more manageable because I limited my searching a lot.

Katbran I would be a DISASTER at the HK show! I'd surely blow my budget immediately on the first amazing pearls I saw and completely forget what I carefully planned for all year. Yet another reason I cool my jets here and let the experts shop in HK, then enjoy their selections.

JP, yas!!

Back