Interesting new strand from Mikimoto.

Honey_and_Lemon

Community member
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&set=a.164421904317.115938.57401469317&type=1

A modern take on the traditional pearl strand.

Featuring pristine white Akoyas deepening into rich peacock green South Sea cultured pearls and back to its immaculate white hue. The delicate color spectrum reflects the deft precision and artistry needed to craft this preciously rare strand.

Preview the piece at our Fifth Avenue & 57th Street flagship in New York.

Retails for $26,320. Hate to think of how many pearls you would have to sort through to get the graduation of body colors/overtones right, since it has to be symmetric on each side.

That's interesting. I have a cute freshwater strand that shades from white to lavender in the center, but I've never worn it. It's really pretty in the box! :)

Well, that's a tad out of my price range, haha, but I must say I LOVE those graduated color strands, whether white/gray/black, or the pastel freshwaters or whatever.

They said "This limited-edition necklace features A+ quality 9x8mm Black South Sea and Akoya cultured pearls with an 18k white gold and diamond signature clasp. It retails for $26,320."

That's heavy price tag for A+ quality.... but Mikimoto's A+ is probably AA or even AAA somewhere else. I really like the design though, I've seen something similar before with golden and white south sea pearls, even though the graduation isn't this nice.

That's strange timing. We just did this last week. It's the same concept but with white and gold South Sea pearls and Tahitian pearls.

We've also got something coming up with silver-blue akoya that graduate in size and color with Tahitian rounds.

Attachments

• 05 16 11adropFWnecklace tin cup
    05 16 11adropFWnecklace tin cup
    15.2 KB · Views: 47
That's sufficiently fabulous, Jeremy.
Further and better particulars though - length, size of pearls....please

I love the ombre look! Have played around with it both in quilts and beading. Can hardly wait to see more :)

It's a pretty long strand, 9-11 mm. It had to be long in order to get three different color graduations in one piece. It's fun, but very difficult to make. This one is just for kicks.

Are these going to be Pearl Paradise offerings? If so, WOO HOO!!!

Commercial interests are beginning to break out of the round, white with pinking mode, to treating pearls like beads! Colored orbs that can be arranged with contrasts in size and color. Well, maybe not the sizes, yet..... except for graduated pearls, which are so...yesterday. how about this idea for sizes: .o0O0o. representing 4 sizes of pearls, or ...oOo... etc.

The designers on this forum have many ideas can that be simplified for commercial purposes and I have already seen contrasts in colors, sizes and textures being displayed- a fashion forward, avant guarde bunche, we are, huh?

Come to Pearl-Guide.com to see clues for tomorrow's most popular pearl fashions, today!

Oooh those pictures are lovely. Very interesting to see this kind of work. It's one of those experiences where you can obviously see the different colours, but when you follow the strand along with your eyes it's very hard to say where the colour actually changes, if you can say at all. Magic.

Sorry, however, I am not a fan of mixed colours in a strand of pearls, as I would find it difficult to pair with an outfit.

DK :)

I think that's really lovely - both the original Mikimoto strand, and Jeremy's one, too. I've never been a great fan of those mixed freshwater pearl necklaces where the colours are all mixed up, I rather prefer these graduated ones.

Back