Indonesian Pearls

TallyPearls

Hello everyone! Thanks for a great forum! So much information here!

So, I have been living in Indonesia the last year and am beginning to obsess about pearls more and more everyday! My friend's family own a pearl farm and I am hoping to begin exporting them to America (I am an American). I am new to pearls and am trying to educate myself, I believe I will complete GIA certification in the coming months.

I haven't seen much on here about the Indonesian pearl. Most of the south sea info is about Australia and Philippines. Does anyone have much experience with Indonesian pearls?

Also, has anyone had any experience exporting from Indonesia? I am trying to figure out if there any issues with exporting, what duties, if mailing by DHL is ok, or am I better to personally fly them out. I am a bit concerned about shipping from Indonesia, but maybe that is an unfounded concern.

Any insight anyone has about the Indonesian market, shipping, customs, or anything relevant would be much appreciated. Thank you so much for any information you can provide and have a great weekend!

Take care :)

Unfortunately I can't offer any help in that area but best of luck! I'm sure that somebody here can offer you a bit of guidance.

Most Indonesian pearls go into the market via auctions, Atlas, Concord,etc. Pearls with a lesser high market value often end up with small sellers in Mataram on Lombok and Bali. Kokuda who has a farm in Radja Ampat sells their harvest via their own Kobe sources. On the HKG Fair are also a few Indonesian wholesalers.

There are already zillions of pearl sellers, so be sure to spend a lot of time up front evaluating the market - how you will sell, who is your buyer, etc., before you invest in an inventory. For instance, will you drill and knot your pearls yourself? :)

Thanks for the information guys. Agreed GemGeek. I have spoken with some jewelry makers back in the states who will take my supply, create some various products and create an online store as well as sell to their existing market. I agree about no investing in too much inventory. I plan on buying enough to get some pieces made and sold and see how it goes and the profitability of it all before upping the inventory. Starting small indeed.

Thank Cess for a little bit of local insight. I will be heading to Lombok in August so hope to really get a lot more of my questions answered as well.

Back