In Need of Pearl Identification...

MSchaitz

I recently inherited these pearl earrings and necklace from my 90 year old grandmother. I am not sure where or when she got these. I wanted to know if they could be identified and what the value is. Thanks!

Attachments

• 24k gold over .925 silver
    24k gold over .925 silver
    40.3 KB · Views: 36
  • rubypearlset
    rubypearlset
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • laceandpearlset
    laceandpearlset
    47.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 6 peacock tahitian pearls hanging from a heavy hammered Hill Tribe Silver bar pendant.  Probably my
    6 peacock tahitian pearls hanging from a heavy hammered Hill Tribe Silver bar pendant. Probably my
    20.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Akoya pearl and tiger eye earrings. There was also a matching bracelet.
    Akoya pearl and tiger eye earrings. There was also a matching bracelet.
    42.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Faceted amethysts with akoya pearl bracelet and earrings.
    Faceted amethysts with akoya pearl bracelet and earrings.
    27.4 KB · Views: 35
Your pearls look like Akoya pearls and quite likely from the 50s or maybe the 60s. Can you tell us what size the pearls are? Also are there any marks on the earwires. They appear to have verdigis on them so probably not solid gold but do check. All information helps.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

I agree with Dawn- the double-strand is definitely Akoya, and quite lovely! You should have them restrung so you can enjoy them. :)
As for the earrings, have you done the Tooth Test on them? Their color and luster is so even I'm suspicious that they could be Mallorcas or some such- esp considering the discoloration/aging of the earring findings which suggests they have a copper base... I am also not convinced the gemstones on the earrings are real diamonds- the cuts and colors are off, and look more like glass to me- but then I also don't have them in front of me so couldn't say for sure.

The earring findings have inexpensive crimp settings, so they're probably costume jewelry. I'd like to see a close up of the necklace pearls. :)

More info

More info

Thanks for the great feedback! I did the tooth test on the earrings and it turns out they are not real! As for the necklace I believe they are just under 7 mm. I hope this up close picture can give you more detail.

Attachments

• Here are two Tahitian pearls drilled against the circles (weird, huh?) on a pendant with sterling si
    Here are two Tahitian pearls drilled against the circles (weird, huh?) on a pendant with sterling si
    29.3 KB · Views: 40
Right on- Nice job on the earrings, MSchaitz! You're on your way to becoming a pearl detective! :D
For photos, the white background is perfect, but ditch the flash- it's over-exposing the pearls and making it hard to see surface detail. You'll want bright but indirect sunlight (mid-morning is best), and you'll want to take at least 3 shots- as the strand overall, a close up of the center sections and a close up of the ends & clasp area. Include either a dime, or some other visual reference for size.

I see some oval-ish shapes in there...

Back