Improving pearl lustre naturally ? ?

derek1

Hi Guys

Does anyone have any information on how to improve pearl lustre naturally ? Or any other solutions ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Derek1,

Well, if there was a natural way to improve the luster of pearls there would be a lot more AAA pearls around!

If the pearls have been worn and are on soiled thread, a good bath following safe guidelines suggested in another thread below will restore their natural luster to the best possible.

Exactly what kind of pearls are you speaking of? New? Vintage?

As for "or any other solutions," I have heard some of the cheaper Tahitians have some kind of coating that makes them look shinier. I don't know what it is or how it works on other types of pearls but maybe someone else does. I have some inexpensive white baroque pearls with dead spots I've been meaning to try white pearly nail polish on. As long as there's no deception involved (and you don't mind the risk of damaging them), why not. :)

Last edited:
Sea Urchin,

Please do put up before and after photos if you try the nail polish~a good experiment, for sure! But of course not a "natural" way to improve luster. I've seen a few low cost pearls that appeared to be dipped in a iridescent coating, but haven't seen any coated Tahitians.

For South Sea pearls... not all pearls can have the luster improved. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact method used, just that it involves some machine/tool but I guess it's basically just applying strong buff on the pearl. I got the info from a fellow who sometimes got request to do the job from pearl company. Few things he told me:
1. It can't be done to freshwater pearl as he tried it once and caused the pearl to lose luster instead; and
2. The process is also thinning the nacre, but not much.

Well, I'm planning to visit him some day to see the process myself.

Sure thing! Leave your pearls within their host oysters for longer periods of time (at least 18 months) and harvest -preferably- in the colder months, since oysters deposit their nacre much more slowly -and with better Aragonite crystal arrangement- when their metabolic rate is lower.
This is the only NATURAL way to increase a pearl's luster. Anything else is Human manipulation: Polishing.

Back