Identifying My Pearls

Marcelle

I got these pearls from my mother. Many years ago she bought them from an estate consignment shop. There is no signature lock. In fact, the lock is just another pearl that the metal lock fits into so it looks like a continuous pearl. They are very beautiful and have a pink glow. Would anyone have an idea as to the type of pearl it may be?

Attachments

• FD 001
    FD 001
    26.7 KB · Views: 49
  • FD 007
    FD 007
    15 KB · Views: 43
  • FD 005
    FD 005
    18.6 KB · Views: 45
  • FD 003
    FD 003
    21.6 KB · Views: 45
Welcome, Marcelle,

What a pretty necklace, love the color! The clasp is nicely done. Thank you for the good photos. My thought is that they are very high quality imitation pearls. I'm unable to see the variation in color, luster and shape, however subtle, that shows in cultured pearls. Have you done the "tooth test?" rub 2 pearls on opposite sides of the strand together gently to see if they are smooth or slightly gritty. Let us know. Are there any markings on the clasp or the insert bar? Such as 14k? 585 or 18K 750?

Thanks for sharing!

I tend to agree, as these very round peach colored pearls were not being cultured many years ago-- they are quite recent.

They are a perfect peach color. Real or fake, they are cool. They definitely pass for a more modern peach freshwater no matter what they are. A very versatile color.

Thank you so much. I checked and checked but there was nothing written on the clasp or the insert bar. I even used a magnifying glass. The pearls definitely rub together smooth. What does that mean? I have pearl earrings that I bought in Margarita, a pearl ring I inherited from my grandmother, and a pearl pedant from my mother they all rubbed together gritty. And I know these are all real.

Yes, smooth almost certainly means fake pearls - confirming Pattye's impression.

- Karin

Marcelle,

Yes, imitation pearls, and very beautiful ones in excellent condition. Necklaces like yours were often sold by the best jewelry stores in town, and they were not inexpensive, even back then. I hope you will care for them just as you do your cultured pearls, avoiding hairspray and perfumes.

Back