identify the name of real pearl

G

godil83

hello,
I have a big Problem,Please help me.
I have a Real pearls .this real pearls was give me my granfather to me . and he says to me that this pearls is antique and the pearl name is "Basra pearls" . Basra is a city of iraq and this pearls was found in the sea of basra in since 1900s .
i do tooth test with pearls and i found that this pearls ar real .but i dont no what is a name of this pearls.please tell me some tricks or test for found the value ,name and brand of this pearls .is it valuable pearls or not?
colour = white ,cream,light pink, its have a good luster..

Last edited by a moderator:
If the pearls you have are from Basra, they are called that - Basra Pearls.
These pearls are no longer harvested these days, but were very popular during their time. They are natural pearls, not cultured. If the pearls are of high quality, they are quite valuable. Escpecially if the pearls do not have the typical 'yellow tint' like a lot of pearls from Basra.

The pearls are antiques, however. They will not have a lot of value in creating fine jewelry, but can be very valuable to a collector. A good quality Basra pearl is said to be more valuable than a full strand of high-quality cultured pearls.

I think your first step would be to send the pearls to a gem-lab to be x-rayed and evaluated. I would suggest the GIA for this. They will tell you whether or not they are true Basra pearls. Then you will have a much easier time finding a buyer (if you wish to sell them) with a GIA document.

Thanks Mr Jshepherd for your reply but

Thanks Mr Jshepherd for your reply but

Thanks Mr jshepherd For Your Reply.

But in our country there is no any lab for x-ray test for pearls.
in my city there is only few jewelers who know the real pearls. I go to the One Jweller he say me that it is real basra and very antique. i go to another jweller for my conformation he says me that it is not a basra pearls its a real dhaka pearls . and i last go to another jweller he says me i have no idea about this pearl. :confused:
now i am very confused about this pearls .
please help me for examine this pearls are there is basra or dhaka or what ?
did u please tell me what is a way that i examine this pearls myself. and if u don't mind please tell me what is a dhaka pearls and what is a real value of pearls if it is basra and its size is about 7 mm to 14 mm .

Last edited by a moderator:
The Basra pearls would probably be more yellow than the Dhaka pearls. Dhaka pearls are from Bangladesh, I think. More than about one century before peoples preferred the Dhaka pearls and they were more valuable. If the pearls are either, and in good condition, they would be very valuable, however. I am not certain of the actual value. Maybe you should try EGL here in Europe. Or at least contact them to find a local expert that can help you to examine the pearls and fine out the valuation.

www.edelkontor.de

Back