I recieved these pearls from my grandmother need some info please.

Mandi33

Hi! I received these pearls about 6 years ago from my grandma and was looking at them yesterday and decided to try to get more info on them. The clasp
is 14kt and has 5 rubies in it. the pearls are really pretty but I don't know what kind of pearl they could be or how much it is worth. I took it to a local jeweler
and they offered me $1500 but I kept it since I know nothing about them. They are 6mm and it is 16inches. IMG_0505.jpgIMG_0506.jpgIMG_0507.jpgIMG_0510.jpgAny info on them would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Mandi33,

Welcome! You have lovely cultured akoya pearls! The pearls appear lustrous, and mostly off round and drop or baroque shape. The clasp is gorgeous, too! Do you have memories and photos of your Grandmother wearing her pearls? Did she receive them for a special occasion? A pearl necklace like this usually has a special story that goes with it~

Thank you for the info Pattye! And no unfortunately I haven't found a photo of her with them on so it is a mystery as to why or where she got them.

$1500 seems to me to be a generous offer for older pearls from a jeweler who must mark it up to resell-- so that makes me wonder whether the rubies are natural (as opposed to lab grown, which are found in a lot of older gold jewelry.)

I say wear them, but if you decide to sell them, if I were you I'd want to have the rubies checked out first.

Yes thanks you for your replies they were very helpful. I did get it checked out and they are natural rubies.

Back