I found a purple pearl in a clam I was eating-The Quahog Thread

Hi Barbara,

why don?t you send a private message to Jeremy Shepherd, he knows a buyer of Quahogs so maybe this person could tell you were to appraise your pearl! Good luck and keep us informed, thanks.

I am sure he will, perhaps he?s not been to the Forum for a while. Look at your private messages.

He will absolutely reply. Be patient.

More pics of my Quahog Pearl

More pics of my Quahog Pearl

pearl.JPG

Last edited:
You might be able to get $100 - $200 for it if you put it up for auction on eBay. Maybe more if there's a bidding war. It's a little on the small side to have much value. The key is finding someone who really wants to collect them.

If your goal is to sell it, then I wouldn't waste the money on an appraisal, because it might be the difference between breaking even and making a little profit. A high appraisal means nothing if the market isn't there to sell it. And as someone who is training to be an appraiser, I know what I'm talking about. ;)

I would LOVE to own that pearl, especially if the shell shown is the shell it came in and it would be included. I might even go for the high end of GemGeek's estimate if I didn't have to fight other eBay-ers for it. :)

Sounds like a match made in heaven! And $200.00 sounds like an excellent price for the pearl. But Barbara probably needs to investigate a little more before she makes a decision.

One thing is clear -- there are some obscene estimated values on some of the pearls out there, but if no one has seen actual sale data, it has virtually no meaning.

I imagine Jeremy Norris might be able to say what a reasonable expectation is for a wholesale price. Right now is the enormous JCK show in Las Vegas and most of the gem people are out of town, so be patient. ;)

Is it just me, or is it a little absurd to think that someone would try to culture a pearl in a clam and not keep track of it? Silly people. :rolleyes:

And then there's the fact that many of those "down-payment" pearls are sitting around un-bought. They're not "worth" a given price if no one will pay that much for them, right?

-Mandy

Barbara's purple pearl is listed on ebay, right now, with about 3 days to go, the bid is up to $41.00 and the reserve has not been met. Just search quahog pearl and up it comes. Obviously, there are some highly inflated numbers floating around, not based on reality!! ;)

That Lake View couple will no doubt drop quietly out of sight with their pearl after a visit to GIA, NY, a trip which will probably cost more than they could ever get for the purple pearl.

Oh well...

Oh well...

I'm pretty bummed out about it (although it's WAY up to $107 now!)

There's an online store called The Purple Store. (for purple-aholics that buy everything they can in purple...) The owner told me she's interested in becoming the "go to" person for these pearls since nobody's ever stepped up before, and while she "doubts she could get me 6 figures", asked me how much I wanted for mine. I pulled a number out of my a$$ ($1000? $2000? I don't remember) and I never heard from her again.

Maybe my baby granddaughter will have better luck with it someday.

Last edited:
Not sure whether it is still true that 'no one stepped up' for purple pearls before.

Neither supply nor demand for Quahog pearls seem developed - thee are a few larger, impressive pearls shifted among gem collectors, a few pearls here and there at the usual addresses for naturals and that's about as much as one would expect for an intriguing rarity with conversation interest and little 'wow' (tabloid) power, isn't it?

'Round here Kojima Pearl carries them.

These folks must be stashing them for a necklace, LOL! Lots of Quahogs... relatively:

http://www.conch-pearls.com/Quahog Pearls.htm

Pala International made the case for the large Quahog collectibles early on, but it was right here on this forum that the best surfaced in the media for everyone to see. Wouldn't have thought of these pearls as a serious jewelry option before those marvels, LOL! (run a search for 'Quahog')

These folks must be stashing them for a necklace, LOL! Lots of Quahogs... relatively:

http://www.conch-pearls.com/Quahog Pearls.htm

Actually, if you look really closely, you can see that all those pictures are of the same pearl. :)

I did come across another guy on eBay that had a bunch of them, but he was (foolishly) trying to sell his *entire* found-pearl collection together, starting at almost $900! :eek: His also weren't gem quality.

-Mandy

Back