How big is too big? (A PSS problem...)

Icyjade

Hi ladies,

What is your maximum size for pearl studs? How big do you/will you go?

I know I've been suffering from PSS (pearl shrinkage syndrome) and my pearl studs have slowly gone up in size over the years, but recently I found myself eyeing 15 mm SSP studs n thinking 'yeah, maybe they can work too'. That's coming from someone who used to think that 12 mm studs are 'too big'.

Did that happen to you too or have you always been consistent in your pearl stud preferences?

If you do have big pearl studs (like 13 mm and above), how often do you wear them and where? (Pics are appreciated of course)

So far 11mm has been the limit for me for round studs, but my mabe studs are larger.

And no, it's definitely not been consistent-- I once thought 8-9mm was large. :D

Edit: I've added photos of the mabe and the 11mm studs.
My ear lobes are thick and large so there is definitely enough "real estate" to go larger still. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• mabe earrings.jpg
    mabe earrings.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 11mm Tahitian studs (small).jpg
    11mm Tahitian studs (small).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Well I think you can go a bit bigger using more button shaped ones but 12mm works for me. I had someone who wanted the most gorgeous pair of White/pink SS 16.4 Full Buttons..flawless... for studs. I refused to sell them to her as I didn't think they would work out and money was tight so I didn't want her to be both disappointed and broke when she tried them on lol I've been told that you can go that large in a stud but I'd have to try some on to be sure. I have to believe that there would be a limit as to how long they would be comfortable.

I agree though that as you move through the pearl years...larger is more appealing. I can't imagine wearing little 9mm pearls now lol

I'm considering these... (Buttonish 15mm)
I dunno if it's too much tho. Probably is if I'm thinking so much ya?

image.jpeg

The terrible thing with pss is that it's spreading to my diamond studs too.

LOL at least with the increase in diamond size you don't have quite the same weight issue !

Very very pretty pearls ... I think you should go to a jewellery shop and try on the biggest ones they have...I'm sure they have some whoppers ! ( are you in Singapore? ) and get a feel for the weight of them. If you just want them for evening events and only need to wear them for 3 hrs or so...then it might not be an issue.

Studs larger than about 10 mm start to bother me after a couple of hours and I can't stand wearing them to talk on the phone or lie down. I can wear the larger ones much longer and more comfortably on wires. I have some that are 14-15 mm on wires that don't bother me.

My biggest is 14mm SSPs. I feel fine with them now as long as the backing is good and can wear them for several hours. However, you have to get used to it. I have thin lobes so when I started wearing 11mm SSPs, my ears bled. After that, they were used to it. Then I got 13mm Tahitians which I felt the weight for a while before I jumped to 14mm. The FWPs are lighter. My SSPs and Tahitians are rounds so buttonish should be more tolerable. I do not dangle them because my ear holes look like a line because my lobes are thin.

Here are photos of the 13mm Tahitians and 14mm SSPS.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 14mm pair but I don't wear it that much. It's more because I don't like the type of ear clip that much (less comfortable) than the size of the earrings.
image.jpeg

I think it really depends on the size of your earlobe. As my sister-in-law once told me, when you get older, you don't get fatter, you get thicker. I find my earlobes are getting slightly bigger and thicker as I get older.

However, I feel like 9 mm would be my limit on a stud, although I haven't tried that size. I have my first studs, which are 7 mm and feel small to me now.

I know that in drops, 12 mm is my limit, and I can't wear them all day long without them starting to bother me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	buttons.jpg Views:	2 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	366366Click image for larger version  Name:	buttons3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	366367

I don't think I can go bigger than the 11-12mm. But my 13.6mm buttons from Pearlesence fit just fine. I think you could easily probably go 14-15mm with buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh thanks for all your lovely photos! Everyone looks great. The 13-14mm studs all look fab on you ladies and are not too big at all!

I wear 11-12 mm round studs comfortably so long as the supports work so that the studs don't droop down. So I think my limit for studs can go higher. For drops that's about my limit but I think it has to do with the findings being heavier and then depending on the size of the wire I get the pulled ear look that looks awful and is terribly uncomfortable to boot.

Am in Singapore but is rather hard to go out jewelry shopping with baby. But am seriously considering those 15 mm studs now. Have a weakness for pearls that have multiple colors (orient?) like the one pictured.

As for the listening to phone problem, my only solution to that is to use a headset which thankfully my workplace provides.

Since getting a new iPhone, I just put every call on speaker phone and hold it up in front of me like a walky talky. Even without earrings on, I cannot find the hole the sound comes out of to get it next to my ear hole properly.

IcyJade...well I know how hard it is to shop with a baby !! Impossible !! I thought if you worked in town you might be able to scoot out at lunch and have a look. But if you love them I guess go for it :) After all .. if they are too heavy you can always turn them evening rings..they are a fabulous size and very beautiful pearls!

I got my giant studs! Posted this earlier on ps but I know not everyone visits both forums.

15mm bluish button ssp n 13mm button fwp (pictured with 11-12mm metallics)
image.jpg

With my ssp strand which looks much whiter irl
image.jpg

Fell for these giant studs cos they reminded me of my bluish dumpling pearl n the color is a really close match! Yay.
image.jpg

I think the 13mm studs r a shockingly good match to my ssp. Separated by half a head n a neck I really don't think the difference is obvious
image.jpg

I like the 13mm on me. The color n size is just right. The 15mm as expected r too big but I can always reset the pearls as rings so I'm not upset. Plus super PSS may set in after some time so you never know haha.

I do really need more of those plastic stabilisers for big pearls. Anyone knows where I can order some good ones?

Oh ya, will post ear shots when I manage to get some decent shots. Still dunno how to take nice ear selfies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271884732252?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

These clear disk backs will only work with the usual/normal thickness posts. They work fine with my posts from PP.

Several of my studs that have thicker posts do not fit through the hole, however.

Note the seller has other packages, for those who prefer more of one size or the other. I like the larger of the two disks but if you have very small ear lobes you may prefer the small disks.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/virginiaeli...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Back