Hi can you tell me if these are south sea? They are 10-10.5mm 14k clasp. Also what is a fair price to offer for them?

IMG_6689.png

Attachments

• IMG_6690.png
    IMG_6690.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6687.jpeg
    IMG_6687.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6686.jpeg
    IMG_6686.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 29
I think they look like dyed freshwater pearls.
They were not strung as a very expensive strand like round GSS would be. There isn't any gimp to protect the thread where it meets the clasp.
The blemishes look like FWP blemishes.
The color is too consistent.

They are also visibly dirty and need to be restrung.
I'd pass on them.

I think they look like dyed freshwater pearls.
They were not strung as a very expensive strand like round GSS would be. There isn't any gimp to protect the thread where it meets the clasp.
The blemishes look like FWP blemishes.
The color is too consistent.

They are also visibly dirty and need to be restrung.
I'd pass on them.
Thank you! I ended up not buying them but I see they sold for $180. What is a “gimp”? Like a little metal covering that keeps the thread from rubbing?

Gimp is the common word for French wire, which is a tiny tube/coil of flat thin metal. You cut a little piece (about 1/4") off with wire cutters and string it onto the needle and thread just before you attach the clasp. When you back-knot through the end pearls to secure the clasp, the little coil of gimp curls into a little loop of overlapping plates that protect the thread where it meets the clasp.
The use of gimp is standard on fine pearl strands.

See the photos in these posts:

A good rule of thumb is that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. $180 is way too good to be true :) It's a good idea to spend time looking at the kind of pearls you like from the various online vendors and get familiar with how they look and what they cost. That way it is easier to separate a good deal from a scam.

$180 would be a good price for dyed freshwaters imitating gold south sea. There are thousands of dyed freshwater strands on offer to the trade but most have a brown cast which is very noticeable when you see a tray of them.

Back