hi can anyone tell me what these are please

johncarp

18" long each pearl is about 6mm to 8mm gritty on the teeth cold to the touch then warms up, has a knot between each pearl (looks like silk) on the clasp it says 14/20 and at the side of the 14/20 there is something else like a Z? or something like this <? thanks for any info :)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 26
Jeremy, how could you tell the clasp is gold plated without close up please as it looks like the 14k clasp that I can see on Bella Findings?

DK :confused:

That clasp style is made using a variety of metals, from base to platinum. The 14/20 stamp is used on gold filled (rolled gold) findings.

My understanding is that 14/20 refers to gold filled, in which the gold is 1/20 the weight of the item, by law.

"Gold filled" is significantly more durable than "gold plated" (electroplated), although the plating on better costume jewelry can be quite durable.

Guess what, I did not read the text of the original post, and was wondering how Jeremy could tell based on the photo alone as I couldn't! DOH!!!

DK :D

You're right. It's gold filled, not gold plated. I just remember seeing those clasps with the 14/20 stamp in Beijing. It's what most of the sellers there used, but they always called it 10 karat - even though it wasn't.

Hi Johncarp,

What it translates to is that the necklace is made of real pearls, has no monetary value but can be very pretty just the same.

- Karin

Back