Help with my estate find!

Spartcom5

Hey guys I'm new here and new to pearls as well!! I bought my first strand of pearls at an estate sale couple weeks ago. I didn't know anything about them when I paid $45 for it. I decided to gamble a little haha. They are defintely akoya pearls, with a pinkish/creamy/golden hue to them. Hard to describe. They are 7-7.5mm and they have a really nice luster to them, I have no idea the quality though. Its on a 30in strand with 14k gold. All the same shape and size. Very few blemishes not noticeable. 93 pearls total. Any idea on the value on these? Worth getting appraised? I was told by many people around $1,500 but i have no idea! 20151015_011635_resized.jpg20151015_011025_resized.jpg20151015_011017_resized.jpg

The corrugated rondelles are a bit odd. I would think those would scratch the pearls.

I would say enjoy your steal and wear them well!

I agree that the rondelles are odd, and another odd thing would be for an akoya strand to be finished without French wire (gimp) at the clasp.

What is it that makes you sure they are akoyas, as opposed to nice imitation pearls? I'm not seeing any overtones (although it could be the lighting), and great uniformity of size and very few blemishes also tends to make me wonder if they are imitation. (There are some really great imitation pearls out there.)

Could you post a close up photo of the blemishes? This would help.
If you could please use a white background (like a paper towel) that would also help.

Last edited:
Welcome, Spartcom,

I would have some of the same questions as Pearl Dreams. The pearls are very pretty, but seem almost too well matched, with the reflections so identical. Pretty much any cultured strand will have some blemishes. Have you tried the test to see if the pearls are slightly gritty? Rub 2 gently together. If you feel a bit of grittiness, that is an indicator of genuine pearls (NOT proof) no resistance and slippery, more likely imitation.

Look closely around the holes for a build up of "nacre" that rolls over the edge into the drill hole. A genuine pearl will have a distinct, sharp edge.

Okay i looked at the hole and it is definitely sharp and crisp. I should mention I have taken these to an appraiser just as a quick check and they said they are absolutely real. I also took them to a few jewelry store as well and they checked out great. They are gritty on the tooth as well. Here are some more pictures, first here are the blemishes as you notice the small dimples on the the two pearls next to my fingers 20151110_224416_resized.jpg And here are some of the strand with a white background. 20151110_224257_resized.jpg20151110_224318_resized.jpg

Thank you very much for the additional photos. The color and luster show so much more accurately against white. Well, if you've had some reliable people look at these and you are confirming about the drill holes and a few minor blemishes, I would concur that you have a very nice strand of Akoya, definitely worth far more than you paid. Speaking of value, there would be considerable difference between retail replacement value (insurance purposes) and what you could sell them for.

The way they are strung is certainly unusual, but the true value is based on the quality of the pearls themselves (round vs baroque, blemishes, nacre quality, luster) which can only be truly evaluated in person. This strand certainly seems well matched, lustrous, quite blemish free and round!

Probably you won't want to spend for an appraisal. You may want to check RubyLane.com for comparables being offered for sale. (Ebay isn't the best because of all the fraudulent listings.)

Are you planning to keep/wear/gift them? Pearls have never been more popular than they are right now! Congratulations again on your purchase!

The white background definitely helped. Also the close up. In the first photo, the 3rd pearl away from your finger has a slightly hammered look, which one sometimes sees with real nacre. I've read this can happen where the nacre is especially thick. Also in the other photos we can now see some variation in the overtones, which you would expect in real cultured pearls.

I have a 30" Majorica imitation pearl strand in the same size and find it highly wearable. If I were you I would just wear it and enjoy it. But speaking personally I'd want to restring it for security (old silk can be weak), and I would remove the gold corrugated beads and possibly switch out the clasp. But that is me.

If you are inclined to learn how to do your own restringing we have tutorials on this on the Lowly Beader's Forum. All you'd need is a bit of beading thread, some gimp (a.k.a. French wire) to cover the thread at the clasp ends (it protects the thread and looks more professional, although you can also do without it if you prefer) and some wire needles. Pattye sells the beading needles, gimp, and Pattye's Serafil thread, which is strong, easy to knot with, and doesn't stretch when wet (unlike silk.)

Last edited:
Back