Help with identification of two pearl necklaces

foreveryours

Hi, I may have previously posted in the wrong forum. My wife and I are new to the forum and are looking for guidance on two necklaces that I have attached pictures of. The first is about 18 inches long with white pearls and a 14k white gold clasp. The second is a light pink strand of pearls that are egg and pear shaped and is also about 18 inches long with a 14k yellow gold clasp. It would be helpful to know what types of pearls these may be, and how to find out about grading, value etc. We purchased them from a private home and were told that they were older and from China. That's about all we know at this point! We look forward to your replies!
Thank you,
Jon and Martha

white southsea drop pendantCollage8057.jpg8055.jpg8056.jpg8054.jpg8053.jpg8051.jpg8049.jpg8048.jpg8047.jpg

Welcome! Those are Chinese freshwater pearls. The strand with the drops is probably not worth as much as they were the year they came out because culturing techniques have attained far higher levels with much rounder pearls since then. Not worth 1/2 of the clasp. But, the drops seem to have some luster.

The photos of the other one, the rounder one are very washed out and Any luster is not apparent. Could you try some more photos?

We have lots of photo tips around here, somewhere..... No flashes, indirect light both help. A white paper towel background is more revealing than any other color and doesn't reflect much.

I like that the drop shaped ones are drilled "side to side" rather than through the pointy end. I haven't seen that before. Was it more common in the past?

I have a strand of cheapo natural color lavender freshwaters and that strand has about a dozen of those pointy ones.

Re; Help with identification of pearl necklaces

Re; Help with identification of pearl necklaces

Hello Caitlyn,
Thank you for your response on our first posting. I have added pictures of the smaller white pearls as well that are hopefully clearer. Are these Chinese as well? We were told they were.
loose tahiti2for niece3loose tahiti1for niece1

Hi John and Martha,

Thank you for the 2nd set of photos. The smaller strand of pearls measures about 5mm? These probably are bead nucleated akoya. The creamy color would indicate akoya also. No blemishes shown in the photos and nice luster. Probably the akoya pearls were from Japan. The string looks rather worn and dirty, so restringing would be a benefit, and one could have a look down the drill hole with a loupe, to verify presence of a bead center and check how thick the nacre is. Hopefully others will also comment.

Caitlin and Pattye,
Thank you for your expertise and informative replies, we are very appreciative!

Jon and Martha

Hello, I would say they are Akoya for sure. Much better than the other strand.

Keep checking back here for loads of information which you are sure to get on pearls. You will learn much. This is the best site for pearl information and help.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover

Back