Help Identify

Reja.zav

Hi there!

I recently purchased these pearls from an antiques store and I was hoping that someone could help me identify them. I have no knowledge of antiques or vintage jewelry and I am simply looking to see if they’re worth keeping.

Please see photos, for clarity, the back of the clasp is marked ‘Engla’ with a start to ‘n’ assuming that it should read ‘England’.

Look forward to hear your expertise. Hope you have a lovely day.

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
I agree, imitations.
• I see one pearl where a small bit of the coating has flaked off, in the 4th photo.
• Some pearls show the excess coating around drill holes that is often seen in imitation pearls.
• I've seen many imitation strands that are strung with one or 2 little pearls near the clasp.
• The pearls are very uniform in size, color, shape and luster, which is common in imitation pearls.

They look like imitation pearls to me, too. It's odd that they would use a clasp for 2 strands of pearls and only string one strand on it.

Thank you everyone for your reply. Do you know if the clasp itself may be silver? Is there any way to tell? Thank you once again

@BWeaves, I noticed that too and briefly wondered if the 2-strand clasp wasn't original to the strand. But the gimp is so tarnished that if it was restrung, it wasn't very recently.

Reja.zav just wrote, "Thank you everyone for your reply. Do you know if the clasp itself may be silver? Is there any way to tell? Thank you once again"

I see some writing on the back of the clasp but I can't make it out. Almost looks like "England". It could just be a maker's mark. If it's Sterling or 925, then it's silver. But I get the impression it's base metal. The gimp is tarnished but not the clasp.

Back