Have I ruined my pearl studs in the swimmingpool?

Monyettes

Community member
I totally forgot to take off my precious akoya pearl stud earrings while swimming at a water park, and now i’m afraid they are ruined! I have never before worn them in chlorinated water, will one time be enough to damage them??

Probably they're okay... it's hard to imagine that one session in chlorinated water would do damage.

However if you happen to wear white gold rings, I would urge you not to wear them in chlorinated pool water, either. Years ago, when I was engaged, I was working at a therapeutic pool. I didn't realize that white gold is particularly vulnerable to damage from chlorine, and it wasn't long before the prongs of my engagement ring had become thin and had to be repaired.

Probably they're okay... it's hard to imagine that one session in chlorinated water would do damage.

However if you happen to wear white gold rings, I would urge you not to wear them in chlorinated pool water, either. Years ago, when I was engaged, I was working at a therapeutic pool. I didn't realize that white gold is particularly vulnerable to damage from chlorine, and it wasn't long before the prongs of my engagement ring had become thin and had to be repaired.

thanks for the heads up on that one!

One day of swimming probably won't harm the pearls too much, but if you'd spent weeks swimming in chlorinated water and never removed the earrings, I think they would get damaged.

My aunt swims daily, and her wedding ring and engagement ring disintegrated from the chlorine in the water. She had to have new rings made. I can't remember if she also lost the diamonds when that happened. I never wear jewelry around water.

Wow, good to know about chlorinated water and white gold!

Back