Have a look...

If you receive the item pictured it does not look too bad. But, you do always get what you pay for on eBay. Just make sure you do receive the item pictured, not a "similar looking" item. If you can pick it up for around $20, it is not much of a gamble...

This seller does have great reviews, but on Ebay, I would be extra careful buying jewelry! I noticed one buyer spammed them with one bad review.

Your shipping cost is $30 (25+5 ins) for EMS or $40 (35+5 FedEx) Both include a fairly high handling fee.

This is the first Chinese dealer that has stated the refund/exchange is inclusive of shipping.

" If there is any problem when you receive your parcel, please contact us without hesitate in 3 days. If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, simply return the unworn item within 30 days of the item(s) ship date and we will gladly exchange, replace or refund it inclusive of delivery charges."

Note that you must contact the dealer within 3 days (not 30) and after contacting have 27 more days to return. If you contact them in 4 days, then kiss your refund goodbye.

I'm very suspicious that a Chinese dealer would offer to include delivery charge in a refund, when the shipping charges have a high handling fee included. And only if you are not 100% happy. Which appears on the surface to mean that you just don't like it; not that there is something wrong with the product. That means the dealer would have to pay freight 3 ways.

Returning a product to China (although it came from there) is very difficult. They have to pay duty, and a VAT fee and they're subject to customs delays. I believe they also must have an import account. And if they don't the dealer can delay you and wear you down with the delays, and could finally say that they would not issue him an import account.

Consequently, if you have to return this item you can expect to get a huge run around from this dealer. He may sound nice now, but the tone will change when you want to return something.

I suggest you ask some questions and get a clarification on the guarantee. Save the emails, and don't pay cash. Pay with PayPal where you'll have some degree of protection. Copy the photo from the website and save it in case you have to deal with a dispute through PayPal.

Many people who buy from the Chinese dealers on eBay do not know anything about pearls, and don't recognize when whey receive junk that is worth less than the shipping cost.

Good luck and caveat emptor,

Bill

I noticed something else in the return information.

The 30 days is from the "ship date", the date the seller ships it. Not the date you receive the item. Just like the 3 day notification requirement which can tend to go unnoticed because one would zero in on and remember the 30 day guarantee, this can be a real trap.

Also, the dealer probably means that he must receive the return within that 30 day period. So if there is a customs delay, which happens frequently, or a long holiday, which occurs, and the item does not reach the seller within that 30 day from ship date period, then he will definately refuse the shipment.

The carrier will ship it back to you, and that can take a few weeks, and you will be responsible for the return shipping charge.

I hate to sound so negative for you, but that's the way it is, and you did ask for advice.

Bill

I don't know, but you might as well just donate the $20 to a good cause. I would not buy pearls of any kind on e-bay, even less pearls directly shipped from China.

Not a Chance

Not a Chance

In my expert opinion, I would not consider purchasing this strand.

Even if the picture were of the strand he/she is selling, these dyed pearls have moderate blemishing, average luster, and exhibit marbling. I would consider this an A quality strand by most standards.

Also note the seller's feedback. Nearly every feedback left was left by a buyer several times in a row. Take this example, taken randomly from the middle of the seller's feedback:

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5054596322

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5050277276

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5053120039

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5053400396

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5054548784

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:40 5054193188

great items
Buyer sasja_dalgaard ( 54) Dec-20-05 09:38 5041794291

Nice necklace. Clasp a little cheap. Could use better quality. Super transaction
Buyer marchgirl1 ( 297) Dec-20-05 08:15 5041812395

Great Transaction AAA+++
Buyer oneamenra ( 227) Dec-20-05 06:40 5060880100

Great Transaction AAA+++
Buyer oneamenra ( 227) Dec-20-05 06:40 5060880217

Great Transaction AAA+++
Buyer oneamenra ( 227) Dec-20-05 06:40 5060881878

Looks like one real buyer for every 20 feedback left. Note, I didn't copy all of the feedbacks left by that first supposed buyer.

Third, here is an example of feedback left for this seller, by a buyer who never bought the strand:

Gorgeous, great communication. Thanks!
Buyer jade4381 ( 35)
no longer a registered user Dec-20-05 03:04 5053398015
Rating Withdrawn by eBay: Buyer didn't respond to the Unpaid Item notification for this transaction. Learn more. Dec-31-05 10:50

gorgeous necklace, very fast postage. Thanks!
Buyer jade4381 ( 35)
no longer a registered user Dec-20-05 03:04 5052292675
Rating Withdrawn by eBay: Buyer didn't respond to the Unpaid Item notification for this transaction. Learn more. Dec-31-05 10:50

The bottom line is, don't be suckerd by eBay auction scams on pearls. There are a ton of great deals to be had from honest sellers here in the US. Just do a Google search.

Last edited:
I must be the odd girl out. I think the strand actually looks nice. I guess it is probable that the necklace in the picture is not the actual piece being sold, but I love black pearls and it is so rare to see black freshwater pearls that really look round like those.

Pearls

Pearls

Actually, it is a picture of saltwater pearls, thus the roundness.

Back