Grandmothers' pearls

Foyscap

Hi. I have three sets of pearls that have been given to me. The first set on the bottom was my grandmother's - she was born in 1899 so probably from the early to mid 1900s. I assume they are costume. There are no markings on the clasp. There is some wear at the connections, but overall they are in ok shape. This is a 14" choker with 53 pearls. The other two necklaces were given to me by my mother-in-law. Supposedly they were her mother-in-laws: an Italian woman who came to the United States in 1900. The middle necklace is in horrible condition. It is 24" long with 95 pearls. They are dull, dirty and flaking a lot. The top necklace is a pretty champagne golden color. 15" strand of 94 graduated pearls, there is no clasp. They appear to be in good condition. I plan to restring this necklace for sentimental reasons and because I like the color! Can anyone tell if these are real pearls and suggest an appropriate clasp. I can send more picture, just let me know what you want to see. Thanks so much for any thoughts or comments!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 40
Hi Foyscap,

Your grandmother's strand looks imitation to me as well. The middle strand may be in better shape than you think-- grime can make even nice pearls look very dull. I need more photos of the top strand.

There is a simple test (commonly called the "tooth test") but I think it works best (and is more sanitary!) when pearls aren't coated with grime-- the middle strand in particular could probably do with a bath before you do the tooth test or take more photos.

To clean them, soak them in a warm soap and water solution for 10 minutes or so, wipe them gently with a soft cloth and, if necessary, cotton swabs between the pearls, where grime often accumulates. Then rinse and pat dry. (Note: if your home has hard water, use a mild liquid cleanser such as baby wash instead of soap. Soap and hard water combine to make a hard-to-remove scum.)

To test, rub 2 of the pearls gently against each other (or rub one gently against the edge of your front tooth.) Imitation nacre feels smooth, and the pearls will slide easily against each other or against your tooth. Real nacre will offer a little bit of resistance. (But grime can cause you to feel a bit of resistance too).

It would help us to see close-up photos without flash against a white background. Get as close as you can while still keeping the pearls in focus. If your camera has a flower icon, that is its close focus setting.
Take close-ups of any peeling areas and surface imperfections, and a few photos showing the drill holes would be good, too-- especially if there are any holes that show wear.

There are many pearl clasps available. More about that later!

I took these pictures today in sunlight. I have not cleaned them yet. Do you still think I should?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 38
Wow. That is the first time I have seen dirt flaking off and peeling at the same time. Someone really enjoyed wearing those and probably didn't realize that they had developed some dirt buildup. That is why Pearl Dreams says it's a good idea to clean them because dirt flakes can look like artificial pearl flaking off when they are real pearls.

But in this case, you can see the blank bead showing through the peeling, meaning that the pearls are artificial. I'm looking forward to seeing close ups of the other strands. :)

Welcome to Pearl-Guide! :)

Here is a close up of the graduated necklace. Two of the small end pearls came off the strand. There is no clasp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 38
Beautiful fakes! While I prefer the real thing, I would restring and wear these for fun. :)

Yes, imitation pearls, all. But sentimental pearls! I can see restringing and wearing the top strand.

It should not be hard to restring them yourself since they don't seem to have knots between them. There are tutorials on stringing beads on YouTube with instructions on how to attach the clasp. (If you prefer to knot between them, there are tutorials and videos posted on the Lowly Beaders forum right here on Pearl-Guide.)

Inexpensive beading threads, wires and clasps can be bought from your local beading supplies store or a craft store like Michaels. Also online from eBay and Etsy sellers, artbeads.com, firemountaingems.com. Nice clasps can be also found on bellafindings.com.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information. Now that I know they are imitation pearls, I will certainly take a crack at restringing the top strand myself.

Foyscap, Thank you for sharing pics and stories of your pearls! Vintage pearls are most interesting! Did we see a good close up of the pearl strand with the small roundels? Those look interesting!

Yes, pearls, both imitation and real and extremely fashionable now, perhaps more than ever! Please show us a photo when they are restrung.

Knotting between each pearl will add about 1 inch of length, and whatever clasp you choose can also add a certain amount, usually 1/2 inch or more.

Good point about the length added by knots and the clasp, Pattye! A bit of extra length would be helpful since they are now only 15". You might want to learn to knot.

For a genuine pearl strand the size of the top strand I used 10# test white Power Pro, which I bought from Artbeads.com. I doubled it and it still fit the smallest pearls.

However, imitation pearls tend to have larger drill holes than real pearls, so may accommodate a slightly larger thread.

I suggest you get a matching color of Pattye's Serafil thread, which is a very silky synthetic thread that is slender and easy to knot. It doesn't tend to twist or form knots where you don't want them. Pattye sells this on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSaabDesigns?section_id=14365735&ref=shopsection_leftnav_6

Perhaps the cream color? https://www.etsy.com/listing/130649...eaders-secret-knotting?ref=shop_home_active_9

I see she also has the kind of fine wire beading needles I use; these should pass through even the smallest of the pearls: https://www.etsy.com/listing/180145257/beading-needles-pkg-of-10-fine-size-8?ref=shop_home_active_1

Last edited:
Though it may sound odd from a guy in "the pearl business"... I have no problem with imitations. My wife owns some seriously-decadent genuine pearls - and on special occasions, loves wearing them.

But it's her shell-pearls and imitations that she wears daily. They look great, and if they get scratched or scuffed or beat up... no harm, no foul.

When properly disclosed/known, imitation pearls are a totally valid adornment - along with lab-created gems and man-made diamonds, IMHO. If you know what you're getting and pay appropriately, why not? Get the simulants for bang-up daily wear, and get the 'good ones' for when it matters and you want to enjoy the real thing.

There are some mighty-fine imitation pearls out there that you can enjoy wearing and feel great about. Clean them up, wear them, give them, enjoy them! By all means, when the time is right, make sure you have a strand (or 10) of genuine pearls. But there's nothing wrong with these, and I wish you health, happiness and pleasure in wearing them.

Back