Grandma's pearls, my 44th birthday present yesterday from my Mummy.

Heather D

Salutations,

My mum gave me one of my Grandmother's pearl necklaces and matching earrings for my birthday. This is the same set my Mum wore on her wedding day in 1967. Mum didn't have a whole lot of information other than they were either sent to my Grandmother while my Grandfather was in Korea during the war or he brought them home after the Korean war. They are in the original box with the jewellers name and it appears they were probably re-strung or repaired at some point (probably by my grandfather). I didn't see a maker name on the clasp. The clasp is stamped "silver". I believe they are not costume, they pass the grit test and they are def not "perfect" spheres when you look at them up close, they aren't perfectly smooth. In life my Grandpa was a firm believer in purchasing something quality as not to waste his money having to replace something of lesser quality, I'm pretty sure they are real.

All that to say I was hoping somebody with knowledge could provide a bit more information. My camera isn't that great. I took a few pictures. White background indirect sunlight near a north east window. There are 105 pearls, 52 on either side of 9mm centre pearl, smallest pearl at clasp is 2 mm. No knots between pearls. The earrings are 7 mm. I was unable to find information by searching the stamped name on the inside of the box.

I'm guessing I can't shower\bath while wearing these (esp since I have high iron content well water). Will they discolour from frequent wear? Can I sleep with them on?

Oh guess that first pic pretty bad.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards
HLD.

Attachments

• Pearls 002.jpg
    Pearls 002.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Pearls 004.jpg
    Pearls 004.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Pearls 001.jpg
    Pearls 001.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Pearls 003.jpg
    Pearls 003.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi and Welcome Heather D,

What a lovely and sentimental birthday gift! These appear to be cultured Akoya pearls, in the popular graduated style of that era. You did a good job taking photos and it is great that you have the original box.

Akoya pearls have layers of nacre over a mother of pearl bead, and your pearls have good luster, which indicates the nacre is fairly thick. It's not likely these pearls would discolor from frequent wear unless you are a smoker.

Are they knotted between the pearls? It doesn't look like they are. If you have them restrung at some point, although they don't appear to need it now, that would prevent loss if the silk breaks.

Put on your pearls after perfumes and hairsprays have dried. Avoiding chemicals that could damage pearls is most important. Pearls can be wiped down with a soft damp cloth and occasionally washed in mild soap. Please check out the thread on Pearl Care and Cleaning for more details.

Silk is weaker when wet, so wearing in the shower isn't a good idea. And sleeping in them on a regular basis probably not a great idea either.

This is just an overview, so don't hesitate if you have more questions.

You can wear your lovely pearls often and with a minimum of care they will be beautiful for many, many years!

Thank you Pattye, Thank you jshepherd.

Should these be appraised and insured as sep rider on my house insurance?

Thanks again.
HLD

My Mum told me this afternoon the earrings were acquired some years later in Europe. They still look nice together.

Lovely strand, Heather.

I would not sleep in them. For one thing, there would be abrasion from the sheets (incidentally, this can also wear down prongs of rings over time.) And for another, the many extra hours of contact with skin, which is slightly acid, and with perspiration would reduce luster over time. Silk stretches and is weaker when wet, so don't shower or swim in them.

I'd never sleep in pearls, because I'd reckon they'd be a lot less than comfortable.

It wouldn't be difficult to find a similar necklace if something happened to yours. Here are a couple from Ruby Lane, one for $60 and another that's $465. I suspect an insurance appraisal would be higher, maybe in the $600 neighborhood.

The important value of your necklace is in its meaning as an item worn by members of your family. If I were going to insure a piece like this, I'd look for a policy that paid me, as opposed to one that gave me a replacement item. Then I'd buy something I loved for itself, plus the fact that the money to buy it was associated with family memories.

Back