GIA G&G Summer 2007 :

Did I read that correctly??? :confused:

Coin-Nucleated/Round-Nucleated ??? Meaning tha some FWPs are beaded/nucleated just like all Marine Cultured Pearls???

I tought that GIA's Ken Scarrath had dismissed this idea some years ago when Antoinette Matlins and a group of others had stated this. :confused:

Jeremy, would you please clarify this? Thank You!

Scarratt was right in his dismissal, and Matlins was wrong in her assertions. But there is something going on.

I am in Sorrento Italy, but will be back in LA next week. I have already sent an email to the GIA regarding the actual publish date of G&G. This is when I can publish another version of the same story here. The G&G article is about 8 pages...

Thanks Jeremy,

I guess we will have to wait a bit longer then to get this information...but I would like to share this photo (sent to me by a friend) of a coin shaped FWP that cracked and revealed something interesting.

Since I never had the pearl for close inspection I cannot pursue a true statement about its origins...but nevertheless, it "looks like a Duck". ;)

Attachments

• Coin Pearl exposed2.jpg
    Coin Pearl exposed2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 37
Great photo of a peeling coin pearl. The coin pearls are universally bead nucleated. They don't cause the same difficulty as they easily slip into the mantle, whereas a bead would not.

Quick update on the article. It is not out yet. G&G simply published an abstract. They have asked me not to publish here until the end of August.

Back