FWP and grading?

msLondon

Community member
Hi all...I'm back...:D

Can i just get some clarification...

Is it wrong for near round pearls to ever be graded AAA, should they be AA+. They have a beautiful luster and a clean skin but are clearly not round to the eye

Thanks

I have a few off-round pearls in my AAA PP necklace, and I've seen a couple off-round ones in freshadama necklaces. So, I think it's ok if there are a few, but I think most of the necklace should be round.

Check back on the grading description on the website of the business you purchased your pearls from for their specific grading system. If you're talking tissue nucleated cultured freshwater pearls, then yes, I would say it is fine.

I have always felt the grade applied to the whole strand in general, not each and every pearl--but that is something that can be clarified. Grading standards for Tahitians and cfwp will be different, most likely.

I think that's a good way to put it Pattye, it applies to the strand as a whole, not each little component. Every vendor should put on their site what their grades mean. I don't think (as there is no universal system) that grading is meant to allow a consumer to compare apples to apples. Were that the case then vendors would need to put weight and refraction index on the strands as well. Grading only makes it possible for the consumer to more fully understand the product from that particular vendor. At the store I worked for we were forbidden from ever saying that our freshwaters were round, regardless of how high quality they were. It's all in the interpretation and discretion of the customer.

Back