Freshwater pearls harvest

typically in the winter months. The colder water results in better luster. But it takes months to process the loose pearls, so harvested pearls won't hit the market until March.

No problem Eric - but I'm not sure I follow the other question?

truth is the harvests are all mixed. What you might buy from the producers could be this years harvest, could be last. They also aren't against telling you it's brand new harvest, even when it isn't.

Yes, I understand what I say is not clear, without its context : all the time I explore pearls webshops to find particular pearls, right to be carved as I do. For exemple, now it's not easy to find well coloured flameballs, so much interesting to carve than white. Sometimes I see a batch to pass, and I buy the nicest. Same think for any other freshwater pearls loose out of standarts, big coloured keshi and other baroques first. It's these kinds of pearls, that suppliers sell themself in limited batchs of marginal productions, I think, that become rare, at this time.

If you are buying from random websites you are not optimising your buying. The market is full of pearls of all sorts of quality and sellers who will cheerfully use stock photos of good pearls and deliver lower quality ones.
If I were you (and I am not, I well understand) I would pick one seller with a good reputation and work with that seller alone so that that seller gets to know you and what you are looking for, and can also go into the depths of the wholesale market and find specific pearls for you. This is also likely to save you money. If a seller is supplying pearls with an assurance of a quick sale the price can be dropped - money is not tied up in speculation

Pearlescence, I think you explain me an intelligent way. The only problem to do like that, is my own, problem, to be inspired or not by what I see. If I was Leonard de Vinci (and I am not!!), I should had not painted so nice Joconde if feminin model didn't enjoy him. It's the same with pearls, I can't tell to a seller how exactly I hope the shape for a baroque pearl, as I work often, just I see one, between a lot, and want to carve it. But, of course, your process would be better if I need round or drop pearls, I agree you. Now, I have still succeed that the supplier of a big chinese website send me additional photos, showing other sides (specially blemishs) of pearls I have chosen, to ask me if my order is right for me... Now, be sure I don't forget your pearls, so pretty, indeed...:)

Last edited:
If you are purchasing your pearls from dealers in Hong Kong then it might be wise to follow the advice from Pearlescence. I find however that you get the best items and prices by purchasing from producers directly. It does mean you need to travel a lot but the result is you get the best pearls from each production area.

Thank you for your advise, LondonPearl! Of course, I should want to travel and choise my pearls on right spots, but I don't use so much to make travel profitable, or I'll have to price my pearls higher and higher! That at time It's difficult to sell unique pieces' work at the same price than usual pearls coming from hundred thousand massive productions. I should be the boss of a small poor hands army to carve serials of pearls in countries right to do that, it will be a better deal to allow any sellers tour, but never mine.

Thank you for your advise, LondonPearl! Of course, I should want to travel and choise my pearls on right spots, but I don't use so much to make travel profitable, or I'll have to price my pearls higher and higher! That at time It's difficult to sell unique pieces' work at the same price than usual pearls coming from hundred thousand massive productions. I should be the boss of a small poor hands army to carve serials of pearls in countries right to do that, it will be a better deal to allow any sellers tour, but never mine.

Your business is just starting now Eric. Once it takes off and you are selling lots I'm sure there will be plenty of money for travelling for pearls. :)

Your business is just starting now Eric. Once it takes off and you are selling lots I'm sure there will be plenty of money for travelling for pearls. :)

So kind of you, Jwymark... You know Snoopy, when It says "I am happy" :) I have not so much time to work without money, what will it happen if it turn full? ;) Well, I say that because I'm a little tired : at the present time, just I get well after a disease, and to stick the net is still the best I can do. But yes, it will be so nice I can choise my pearls, one by one, in my hands!

Last edited:
Back