First time pearl buyer: help on "power pearls" or "office pearls"

Confused

Situation: wife got major new job, #2 at brand new hotel being built and opening first week in December. She has several pieces of faux-pearls but never got the real deal. I want to get her an early Christmas present of a necklace-bracelet-earring set.

Price point: $500

Dilemma: I am looking at three sets all $460-$520, all with 16" necklace, 7.5" bracelet, and stud earrings

• 8.5-9.0 mm White Freshwater
  • 7.5-8.0 mm White Freshadama Freshwater
  • 6.5-7.0 mm White Akoya

For a business/office type setting, is it preferable to have a) larger pearls or b) higher quality?

Thanks!

For power, I would go with the largest pearl necklace and earrings you can afford and drop the bracelet. PP doesn't sell any low quality pearls, so they should be beautiful.

I love 16" necklaces personally, but many prefer 18" or 20". Make sure a 16" strand suits her (you could measure the necklaces she seems to like best). 7.5" bracelets are standard, but again check to make sure that's a length she likes. Too tight or too loose will leave the bracelet unworn.

Have fun and keep us posted. This is a thoughtful and lovely gift!

PS -- I agree with the Sea Urchin below regarding going up a size for the earring pearls -- I also prefer my earring pearls to be larger than the pearls in my necklace.

And I can confidently say we all LOVE pictures!!!

Last edited:
How thoughtful of you! I agree with GemGeek. I would go with the larger pearl necklace and earrings. Save the bracelet idea for Valentines' Day!!

Yep, I agree on the 8.5-9.0 mm white freshwater, AAA if possible. You can ask to see pics of a few strands and choose one as well as get additional help, with the chat box on the site.

More thoughts, all just my opinion, of course. Maybe others will weigh in, if you're interested in more detailed opinions:

- I believe 18 inch is the most common length so that's a good bet unless you know she wants 16 inch.

- If possible, I'd go for larger pearls instead of the bracelet. It's a little matchy-matchy in my opinion to have the necklace and bracelet so maybe wouldn't be worn with the strand anyway. Or, if budget allows, consider getting the invisible clasp (it's set inside two pearls, I forgot what it's called but you can see it on the findings/clasps page) so the bracelet can be used to make the strand longer for further versatility, if she would like to wear it over a top sometimes as well as just above it.

- I like the earring pearls a little larger to set them apart from the strand pearls, maybe just the next size larger.

- I'd get the metal (what little there is) in white gold or yellow gold to match her wedding rings.

But within your stated budget, if it was me (and without knowing more about your wife's preferences) I'd get the Pearl Paradise AAA 8.5-9.0 18 inch strand- $449. And the AAA 8.0-9.0 stud earrings- $92.

Also, we just love photos!

Last edited:
If she doesn't have a large neck, the 16" would sit near the base of the neck and show, regardless of what type of clothing she is wearing. This is a very elegant look for someone who is not heavy or is smaller-framed. If she is not petite, 18" is a safer size. Remember that pearls have volume that make a necklace shorter than the equivalent necklace that is just a metal chain.

You have chosen well. I can think of nothing that will send the message of beauty and authority as a pearl necklace and earrings. And a size larger on the earrings is great suggestion. I have a pair of earrings that are smaller than the matching necklace and they just don't look like they belong, although they look fine on their own. :)

Good luck! :)

Definitely get the necklace and earrings. Spend the money on that..best you can buy. Personally I think the 17 or 18 inch length is a bit more comfortable for people. But if she is very tiny then the 16 is probably good. Do measure some of here favourite necklaces as GemGeek suggested and the idea of moving up a millimetre in the earring size is a good one. And I wouldn't get smaller than 8mm for the necklace... 9 would be good. Such a lovely idea ! Well done you thoughtful person !!

Can I agree with everyone else..necklace and earrings and not the bracelet. I suspect the bracelet would not be a good idea in a hotel environment as even second in command have to get stuck in to stuff occasionally. As for length of necklace - is there a uniform or will she be wearing something like a dark suit with a white shirt, open at a crisp collar. She'll want the necklace to sit just right inside the shirt so that it shows as a semi circle against her skin rather than disappearing or her having to continually fiddle with it to get it to sit right. Just below the collar bone would be spot on if that is what she will be wearing.

Concur with the others about getting the largest size pearls one can afford. I would opt for a necklace, plus a pair of earrings in a larger size, and drop the bracelet (I personally prefer to wear a watch and a couple of non-pearl bracelets on my wrists).

How about a strand of lariat style necklace that can be worn in different length and ways, an example can be seen on PP's site showing their FrostLink clasp. It's currently listed as out of stock, however, they should be able to get more from their supplier in no time.

If budget allows, I would add a tin cup necklace, as it can look very smart yet less formal when worn with a collared shirt/blouse for dress down days.

Good luck with your purchases.

DK :)

P.S. Other presents to consider - a statement day watch, and a statement writing instrument to complete the power look! :D

Can I agree with everyone else..necklace and earrings and not the bracelet. I suspect the bracelet would not be a good idea in a hotel environment as even second in command have to get stuck in to stuff occasionally. As for length of necklace - is there a uniform or will she be wearing something like a dark suit with a white shirt, open at a crisp collar. She'll want the necklace to sit just right inside the shirt so that it shows as a semi circle against her skin rather than disappearing or her having to continually fiddle with it to get it to sit right. Just below the collar bone would be spot on if that is what she will be wearing.

Yes! A shorter length is perfect for collared shirts.

For some good power pearl inspiration, take a look at Diane Lockheart from The Good Wife. She wears a lot of different pearls and she looks great in them. The wardrobe designers are usually inspired in her jewelry choices. Although I would not wear some of her metal statement necklaces, I would wear any of her pearls.

Thanks to you all. I'll swing back around with photos. After measuring her existing faux-pearls I'm going with
  • Pearl Paradise AA+ 35-inch 8.5-9.5 mm White Freshwater Pearl Necklace - her existing necklace is ~36-inch
  • Pearl Paradise AA+ 9.0-10.0 mm White Freshwater Pearl Stud Earrings - one size larger than necklace

Which, with discount hits the $500 price point.

Thanks!

I'd choose 7.5-8.0 mm White Freshadama Freshwater.
Only my opinion )

Back