Fiji

Angela

I am going to Fiji for my honeymoon in a few months and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Fijan pearls. It would seem that the industry would be as big as Tahiti given the proximity and similiar climates, but I haven't heard much about them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Melanesia has never had much success in pearl culture. There have been some smaller operations in the Solomon Islands, in fact we discussed one of their auctions on this forum a little more than a year ago.
The Fiji Islands, however, have never had any real commercial production. Early attempts by the Japanese (based on Diamond policy restrictions) did not succeed.
There is a a farm in Savusavu Bay on the island of Vanua Levu (North Fiji Islands) that produces black pearls. But this farm is less than 10 years old, and I believe is the only producing farm in Fiji today.

Thanks for your input, Jeremy!

About Savusavu Bay... there is a guy based out of Savusavu Bay who advertises his pearls at pearlsfiji.com. His pearls are intruiging - they seem to come in different colors than what I've seen in traditional Tahitian or South Sea Pearls. Are these colors possible? Is this guy a visionary or a scam artist?

I didn't know if Fiji was up-and-coming or never-gonna-happen. But from what I've heard it seems like the latter. But I leave it to the experts. :)

That is the company that I was referring to.

The colors seem typical to me. I see nothing on the Website that one would not see in French Polynesia. The pearls with the golden tones are a bit more rare, however. The pearls are from Pinctada margaritifera, or Tahitian pearls (sorry CIBJO).

There is always going to be some degree of "fluff" in every island community's pearl marketing. You have to take everything with a grain of salt, remembering that every producer is very proud, and militant about their own production. There is nothing wrong with that.

It looks as though Justin Hunter is a local producer, and sells locally as well. This is likely why the pearls are not very well known around the world.

If you are going there on your honeymoon, then buy a piece! Find one for same reason people buy Tahitians when vacationing in French Polynesia - the intrinsic value. Sure, you are not going to get a great deal (Tahiti's prices are 4-5 times what you can find elsewhere for the same pearls, from French Polynesia). But you will be buying something you will never be able to replace; a pearl or strand of pearls purchased in Fiji on your honeymoon!

Cheers! I don't need to be told twice to buy some pearls. :) Thanks again for your expert help!

Back