Family Estate Pearls, Any Ideas?

madcya

These came from a Family members estate, she was on the wealthy side, though she was known to buy cheap items as well as pricey stuff! I was wondering what kind of pearls these might be they have a sterling clasp and I thought they were probably from the 1940's any help is appreciated!!! IMG_1686.jpgIMG_1687.jpg

madcya, welcome,

From that time period the pearls would most likely be Akoya, IF they are cultured pearls rather than imitation. Have you done the "tooth test?"

Appears the pearls were worn quite a bit and could use a bath in gentle soap. Instructions found under the thread "Pearl Care and Cleaning"

Grime can conceal the pearls' real appearance and make it harder to evaluate them.

Give them a gentle bath in some mild soapy water (not detergent), rinse thoroughly and let them dry on a towel-- then photograph again on a white background.
You can also rub 2 pearls against each other gently to see if you feel roughness (real) or smoothness (usually indicates fakes.)

OK, I cleaned them a little, which definitely made a difference, I could probably do it again, I did the tooth test, definitely a little gritty and also gritty rubbing them together, the sizes are approx. 3mm graduating to the middle with that one being a little larger than 5mm the whole strand runs about 16" and I'm adding a few more pictures, thanks to everyone for all of your help, this is wonderful!IMG_1742.jpgIMG_1743.jpgIMG_1744.jpgIMG_1745.jpg

The shapes are not all perfectly round; as they are also gritty, I think they are cultured akoya pearls from WW II / Korean war era. Many of these graduated strands were sold in Japan to servicemen and others, who brought them home to their wives and sweethearts.

I have 2 such strands which I cleaned and restrung on a synthetic thread called PowerPro, using the 10# size (fine.) My restringing tutorial is stickied on the Lowly Beaders' Club page.

If you are motivated to clean them up better and restring them, they could be a lovely and sentimental strand to wear. Many here like using a very gently liquid soap (diluted in warm water) to clean pearls-- Dr. Bronner's unscented is often recommended. I've used a mild baby wash also. The pearls are best cleaned as a strand initially, but when you cut it apart prior to restringing them, wipe off any dirt that was near the drill hole, using a soft microfiber cloth, one by one. I found there was a lot of grime right around the drill hole.

Oh, those pearls are lookin' pretty! Yes, great cleaning advice from PD, restrung and knotted between will make them a bit longer. a lovely necklace! We do appreciate the good photos! Also you are helping the next person who stops by with a similar necklace~

Thanks to you all for the help, I've definitely learned a few things already!

Back